Tuesday 28 June 2011

Dinner for a Hot Summer Evening


Sydney and I went to Costco yesterday for our weekly shopping run.  I spend so much time shopping at Costco these days that I could literally fill an entire blog on that alone!  I always pick up a hot rotisserie barbecue chicken when I'm there so am often searching for recipes that use cooked chicken for the leftovers.  Found two new ones today that I thought I'd try out.

Tonight for dinner I made a homemade Creamy Curried Chicken Soup and Chicken Wraps with Curry-Chutney Mayonnaise and Peanuts.  It was delicious and so perfect for a hot summer evening.  The hint of curry in each dish really complimented each other well!  It was super easy to put together, I had dinner on the table in record time and everyone loved it!

Here's the recipes, enjoy!


Chicken Wraps with Curry-Chutney Mayonnaise and Peanuts

1 cup mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip, I used the fat free)
1/4 cup mango chutney (surprisingly easy to find, in the store where you find jarred curry sauces)
1.5 tsp curry powder
6 large flour tortillas (I used the spinach ones)
2 cups diced cooked chicken (you can also use turkey, great for Thanksgiving or Christmas leftovers!)
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
6 tablespoons coarsely chopped lightly salted peanuts
1 1/3 cups coleslaw mix (the green and red cabbage with carrots is best)

Mix mayonnaise, chutney and curry powder in a small bowl.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Spread 2 tablespoons curry-chutney mayonnaise in a two inch wide strip down the middle of each tortilla.  Divide the rest of the toppings evenly between the tortillas; chicken, cilantro, peanuts and coleslaw mix.  Fold sides of tortilla over ends of filling and roll up burrito-style. 





Creamy Curried Chicken Soup

10 oz can cream of celery soup (I used the low fat version)
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp onion powder or minced dried onions
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup chopped cooked chicken

Whisk together soup, milk and spices in a saucepan.  Stir in peas and chicken.  Simmer until hot, about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment