Thursday 28 July 2011

Aimee


Aimee is my hairdresser.  She has been a huge part of my life for years, has seen me through career changes, pregnancy and motherhood.  Years ago, she "retired" but kept some of her favourite clients and sees them in her home, I feel very fortunate to be counted amongst one of her favourites!  I love going to see her, not only because I leave feeling so much better about myself with my hair nicely cut and coloured, but also because she always lifts my spirits.

Yesterday I went to see Aimee to have my hair cut.  When I got there, I was feeling a bit bummed because the weather was so crappy for the millionth day in a row and I was feeling unmotivated to do much of anything.  Aimee loves hearing all about Sydney and what she's up to, and as a Mom herself to three grown children, often offers gentle advice or stories from her own experience.  We started chatting about Sydney and what she was up to and I was sharing how I'm finding this age quite challenging.
 


Aimee wisely smiled at me and said, "Susan, you have been given this gift of time with your daughter without any pressure to work outside the house or do anything but be a great Mom, enjoy every minute of it!"  It really was the gentle kick in the butt that I needed.  I don't often think of this time as a gift and lately had even been feeling a bit restless and as though I needed something more than just being at home with Syd.  Aimee's simple, yet oh so wise, comment really made me look at things from a different perspective and be grateful for everything that I have, and mostly for this gift of time to spend with the most important person in my life.

So thank you Aimee, not only for taming my crazy tresses yesterday, but also for encouraging me to be a better Mom, you're the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment