Sunday 10 July 2011

Comfort Food


I have always loved comfort food.  Everything from hearty casseroles to meat and potatoes warms my soul anytime of the year!  I have dozens of recipes that are standbys for times when I feel like I need a little home-comfort.

One of my favourite casserole dishes to make is Spanish Rice Bake.  This is a great recipe as a side dish for dinner or as a main hot lunch dish.  It cooks up in one pot and bakes in the oven with a layer of lovely gooey cheese on top, yum!  It also has a good dose of cumin which is my absolute favourite spice.  I often double the amount called for in a recipe because I love it so much!

 
It also reheats fabulously so you can make it up in advance and pop it in the oven to reheat while you are getting the rest of a meal organized.  

Here's the recipe, enjoy!

Spanish Rice Bake

1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 - 14 ounce can canned tomatoes
1 cup water
3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
1/2 cup chili sauce (use a combo of ketchup and hot sauce if you don't have this!)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cumin (I use more like 2 tsps!)
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Brown the ground beef and onion in a large pot over medium-high heat.  Drain excess fat and stir in tomatoes, water, rice, chili sauce, salt, brown sugar, cumin, Worcestershire sauce and pepper.  Let this simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, then transport to a 2 quart casserole dish.  Press down firmly and sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.  Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.  Garnish with fresh cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment