Thursday 14 July 2011

Reading Again....

Before Sydney was born I used to read a fair amount.  I wouldn't say that I was a super academic reader, but I loved a good, funny book, especially when I was away on a sun holiday.  Since Sydney's arrival, my reading has consisted of three books:  "What to Expect the First Year", "What to Expect the Toddler Years" and "How to Help your baby sleep through the night"....not exactly the widest scope of topics!


In the last week or so I have recently started reading again.  It started by picking up a book that my sister had given me for my last birthday which I got half way through last September, and has been sitting on my nightstand ever since. It's Sophie Kinsella's "Mini Shopaholic".  For those of you who aren't familiar with Sophie, she wrote the famous "Confessions of a Shopaholic" series, they are hilarious books, such a fun and easy read!  I highly recommend taking one along for the plane ride or beach on your next holiday.  I have so been enjoying this book and have been giggling throughout as the plot is built upon the main character dealing with a very spirited toddler.  Hmmmm, I wonder what that's like?!?

I have an obsession with watching the reality TV series "19 Kids and Counting" on TLC.  I literally sit in front of the TV in awe watching this Mom, Michelle Duggar, as she pleasantly and handily manages her brood of 19 and wonder why I feel as though I'm losing my mind some days dealing with one spirited toddler!  I have literally watched every episode of this show since it started airing and when they wrote their first book a few years back I had to get it. 


The Duggars recently finished writing a second book, "A Love that Multiplies" that I got this week and have just started reading.  It's such a neat glimpse into their lives and philosophy on raising kids and the family unit.  I was struck by one line in the book last night: "I'm constantly aware that my mood and disposition set the tone for my home, so my goal is always to maintain a pleasant, optimistic demeanor, knowing that all those little eyes are watching me."  Kinda convicting....




Am enjoying my summer reads and hoping to dive into a few more good books this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment