Wednesday 17 August 2011

Blueberries


I love blueberries.  I honestly think they are one of nature's finest treats.  We are very lucky to live in Vancouver within a few minutes drive of some great blueberry farms.  Every summer we make a special point of heading to the farm to get a big batch of berries.  Nothing quite spells out summer like eating blueberries warmed by the sun, right off the bushes.  This past weekend, I took a drive out to BC Blueberry Farm located at the Sanduz Estate Winery in Richmond at the corner of Blundell and Sidaway.


I came home with two ten pound boxes of blueberries, one for myself and one for Paul's mother.  She makes the most amazing blueberry buns with them, almost like a turnover...I've never tasted anything like them before but she has perfected them over the years and we wait all summer for blueberry season when she whips up a few batches for us to enjoy.


I froze most of my berries so that I could use them throughout the winter when fresh ones are scarce.  Sydney ate about a pound of them as did her Dad.  I do have a few favourite blueberry recipes that I make every year, here's one from my trusty Best of Bridge cookbook for super blueberry lemon muffins.  Give them a try, they're delicious!  The combination of the sweetness of the blueberries and the sour lemon is so yummy!

Super Blueberry Lemon Muffins

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Rind of one Lemon
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Lemon Butter Topping:

1/4 cup melted butter
2 TBSP lemon juice (fresh is best!)
1/2 cup sugar

To make muffins:   Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon rind in a large bowl.  Beat egg in medium bowl; add milk and butter.  Add egg mixture to dry ingredients.  Stir until just mixed (batter will be lumpy).  Stir in blueberries.  Fill muffin pans 2/3 full.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

To Make Topping:

Combine melted butter and lemon juice.  Measure sugar in separate dish.  Dunk tops of slightly cooled muffins into lemon butter and then sugar.



Makes 16 medium muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment