Monday 15 August 2011

Cake Day


Today was the second class of my cake decorating course.  We actually decorated an entire cake today, what fun!  It is a whole lot harder and easier than it looks!  The hardest part, believe it or not, is actually icing the cake top and sides and not dragging crumbs all over the place.  I tempted fate and made a chocolate cake to make it even harder to hide the crumbs in the white icing.  Turns out I also whipped my icing for too long and there were too many air bubbles in it to make a perfectly smooth surface.  All part of the learning....



In the end this is what my cake looked like:



It looks a little like a baby shower cake, not on purpose but because I was trying not to add too much of the food colouring and ended up with mostly pastel colours.  I still loved it though and the cupcake is so cute on top!  Would be a great design for Sydney's second birthday coming up in November!

I was pleased with the end result and had a ton of fun doing it!  Unfortunately it didn't quite make it home so lovely looking as the cake holder toppled over in the car but it was yummy never the less!

Next week we are making cupcakes, filling them with yummy custard and decorating the tops with a whole bunch of new techniques.  Should be a ton of fun!  Keep your eye out for pictures!  I am learning a ton, feels great to be trying something new and having some fun on the side. 


Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment