Monday 8 August 2011

Cake Decorating


For the next four Monday mornings I am taking a course on cake decorating at Michael's craft store.  Today was the first class and it was so much fun!  Our instructor, Georgina, has been trained by Wilton and will be walking us through the Wilton basic decorating course.  She also has her own business making and selling cakes, check out her website here

I have baked my fair share of cakes in my life.  For years, when my nephews were younger, I would make their birthday cakes in all different themes.  They were never amazing looking, but fun to make, and the kids always loved them.  In the back of my mind, I had long thought that it would be really great to know how to properly decorate cakes, so I'm super excited to do this course over the next while!! 

I have also been very inspired by reading the blog "i am baker".  This lady makes the most amazing cakes amongst other yummy things and often has tutorials on her blog so that you can mimic her cakes.  Now that I have all of the tools I need, I will be trying some of her techniques for sure!!

Today we went over the basics of baking cakes and all of the special ingredients that you can use to make your cakes that much more amazing.  I had no idea that these even existed!  I really learned a lot for one morning!



We brought cookies today to practice piping icing onto, here was my final result.  I made one with a letter "S" on it for Sydney too but she managed to eat all the icing off the top before I could take a picture!
 

Next week we have to bake a cake and bring it to class and will spend the entire session decorating it, I can't wait!  This could be a very fun new hobby!  Look out for my post next week with pictures of the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment