Thursday 4 August 2011

Challah


Sydney has been under the weather for most of the week.  Yesterday, after about four days of being housebound with her, I decided that come hell or high water I was going to have a productive day even if it had to be spent at home.  So I decided to drag the old bread maker up from the basement and make some challah.

Paul bought me this bread maker years ago for Christmas.  I am slightly addicted to buying things for the kitchen...I love plates and bowls, glasses and china and small appliances.  I want them all, literally.  I especially love using the bread maker for making pizza dough and challah, a braided Jewish egg bread.

If you have a bread maker, this recipe is super easy to follow and is well worth the results. The bread is lovely and light and super tasty.  It is excellent served with dinner or to use for sandwiches.  If you have any left after a day or two make french toast with it, it's amazing!!

Here's the recipe straight out of my bread maker cookbook:

Challah

3/4 cup water
1 egg, beaten
3 TBSP shortening (I use margarine)
3 TBSP sugar
1 tsp salt
2.5 cups white flour
1.25 tsp yeast (the kind specifically for bread makers works best)

Glaze:

1 egg yolk
1 TBSP water

Measure first seven ingredients in the order listed into the baking pan.
Insert baking pan into chamber of bread maker and secure, close lid.
Select your dough/pasta setting.
When the cycle is complete, remove dough from machine to a lightly floured surface.
Divide dough into 6 equal portions.  Roll with the palm of hand into long, smooth strips.  The pieces should be thicker in the middle and gradually taper towards the ends.  Braid the 6 dough strips. (I make two smaller loaves using 3 strips each instead of one big one, but either works out great!)  Place on lightly greased baking sheet.  Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until double in volume.
Beat egg yolk with one tablespoon of water and brush over challah.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Shaping the dough may take some practice, but it is well worth it!






No comments:

Post a Comment