Wednesday 31 August 2011

A Day of Goodbyes


Shortly after Sydney was born, I started to wonder how I was ever going to get a haircut or bikini wax again.  I hadn't really thought about how difficult it would be to take a baby to the spa or hair salon where other patrons were quietly enjoying themselves and paying big bucks NOT to hear a baby crying!

I was so relieved when my friend Sarah told me about her friend Lulu at Butterfly on Burrard.  Lulu is the one and only esthetician at her spa and loves kids, so she is only too happy to have me bring Sydney along when I come to get my services done.  So, once every three or four weeks from the time Sydney was a few months old, I have packed her up and headed to Lulu for my regular maintenance, hair removal galore and a pedicure.

All was well until about a month ago when Lulu sent out an e-mail to tell us that she had sold her business and was moving to Saltspring Island after an extended trip to Turkey to visit her family.  So today was her last day at the spa and my last time to see her.  It was so sad to say goodbye to her.  After seeing her on such a regular basis I felt as though we had become friends and was sad that we wouldn't be having our long chats over hot wax and nail polish any more.  Plus I now have to find somewhere new to go....a daunting task.


Right after saying goodbye to Lulu, I drove home to say goodbye to our nanny Beth as it was her last day with us.  I am still in denial about the fact that she's not coming back, I don't think it's really going to hit me until next week when I wake up on Monday morning and realize that I can't do my usual routine of errands and exercise with Sydney in tow. 



So it was a day filled with goodbyes and while I'm at it we may as well say goodbye to summer as tomorrow it will be September and it is definitely feeling like fall out there.  There...all my goodbyes are out of my system...onwards and upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment