Saturday 13 August 2011

Garage Sale


Today I hosted our annual garage sale.  This year turned out to be a bit of a bust.  Usually we have a great turnout and empty out our garage of all of the clutter, but this morning was cool and windy and I think most everyone wanted to stay home!  I spent the first hour of the garage sale coming up with a strategy for what I was going to do with all of the leftover junk when no one showed up! 

As the morning wore on, more people came and in the end a lot of the things did sell.  I still have a fair amount of stuff left over, but it did feel good to get rid of some things and clear out the clutter.  Next year will be a much bigger sale for sure as I will feel more emotionally ready to go through Sydney's baby stuff and get rid of some, for whatever reason this year it just seemed too soon...

I was chuckling to myself all morning as all of these men showed up to the sale that reminded me of the American Pickers.  I was asked several times if I had any old records, antiques or old bikes.  It seems that garage-sailing has suddenly become fashionable with all of the reality shows about pickers trying to buy something for next to nothing at a yard sale and flipping it to some collector who will pay a zillion dollars for it.  Quite an interesting business, I must say!



So all in all a fun morning and a cleaner garage to show for it!  Until next year's sale....

No comments:

Post a Comment