Friday 26 August 2011

Talk to Me


From the day Sydney was born, I have chatted at her non-stop.  I remember when she was just a few days old, I propped her bouncy seat up on the kitchen counter while I was making dinner and gave her a play by play of everything that I was doing while I chopped and diced, sauteed and steamed.  To this day, Sydney loves to stand on a stool beside me while I cook dinner and watch what I'm doing.  Something tells me she's going to me Momma's right hand gal!

I naturally assumed, because I spoke to her so much from such an early age, that she would be an early talker...hasn't exactly turned out that way.  Many of her friends the same age have enormous vocabularies compared to her and are already stringing words together.  It seemed like Sydney could only say the same dozen words forever until just this past ten days or so.

Every single day for about a week now, Sydney has said at least one new word.  It is amazing how quickly she is picking words up and saying them with such clarity.  She is so proud of herself when she says something new or repeats something that I say, the look on her face is priceless.  I'm sure the huge amount of praise that she's getting from me and Daddy is helping her pride enormously!


Today was a perfect Friday, we spent most of the morning at home playing together and getting some housework done, went to our fitness class together at the park, had lunch outside together and a nap and then off to my friend Sally's new house for a visit with her and her sweet boy Ollie.  We topped the day off with a barbecue and dinner outside with Daddy.  Perfection on a beautiful, sunny summer day!

While we were dining outside for lunch, a swarm of bees starting attacking my food.  I was trying to stay calm while swatting them away without irritating any of them to the point of wanting to sting me or Sydney.  While I was frantically flapping my arms around protecting our food, Sydney stood up on her chair and yelled at the top of her lungs "Bee, Bee!"  It was too cute, the first time she'd ever said 'bee' and boy did she wait for the right moment! 


I can't wait for the day when she and I can have full blown conversations, I am so curious to know what she's thinking and hear her questions about the world.  If she's anything like her Mom, by this time next year she'll be a regular Chatty Cathy!

(By the way..for those of you wondering, these pictures have nothing to do with the post today per se but were taken at Point no Point Resort on Vancouver Island while on holidays last year with my Mom and sister.  Thought they were so beautiful I just had to share them!)

No comments:

Post a Comment