Tuesday 20 September 2011

A New Chair for Little Miss Sydney

Sydney and I took a drive to Point Roberts, Washington after preschool today to pick up an early birthday present for her.  This little leather arm chair is the newest addition to our living room and matches a set of regular sized chairs that we bought before she was born.  Sydney was so excited to have her own little chair, she jumped right into it with a pile of her books and curled up to read as soon as I had set it up!

I figured that this chair wouldn't require any, or very little, assembly and was a little surprised when I saw the small box that it arrived in.  When I got it home, I was pleased to find that it was only in three pieces that screwed together quite easily.  Only problem was, that one of the packages of silica gel that had been placed inside for shipping, had accidentally split open in the box and when I took the chair pieces out, a million little beads of gel flew all over the floor.  They were literally everywhere!  It took me longer to clean them all up then it did to drive to Point Roberts to pick the chair up in the first place! 


Just as I was making some headway on getting all the gel up off the floor, I heard a little crunching sound behind me and turned around to see Sydney munching away on a mouthful of the beads.  I stared at her in horror looking at the empty package they had spilled out of.  It was marked with the picture of a skull and crossbones on it, and read "Do Not Eat!  Poison!"  I quickly swept my finger through her mouth to get any bits that didn't manage to find their way down her throat and swept her up in my arms as I frantically ran to the computer to Google "silica gel poisoning".  You can only imagine my relief when I read that it really isn't as poisonous as the package indicated and would only be harmful if eaten in a quantity somewhere around the size of a shoebox.  Whew! 



In the end it was worth all the drama, Sydney spent the better part of the afternoon sitting or playing on her new chair and even ate her dinner sitting in it tonight.  I can envision many an hour of Sydney and Daddy sitting in their chairs in the living room watching TV together in the years to come.  I may have to get her a matching ottoman....

No comments:

Post a Comment