Wednesday 5 October 2011

Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake

This time of year I am always looking for hearty fall recipes to make.  I'm not sure what it is about October, but it always triggers the nesting instinct in me and I get inspired to spend many an hour in the kitchen whipping up yummy treats and hearty fare. 

One of my favourite blogs that I've been following for a while is 'i am baker'.  This woman continually inspires me with her amazing creations and decadent treats but what I find most amazing is the fact that she accomplishes all this incredible baking and blogging with four children, one of whom is a newborn!!  Inspiring to say the least!  She recently had a guest post an amazing recipe for a pumpkin bundt cake, I knew I had to try it when I read the recipe.

It was so yummy!  Very moist and dense with a great pumpkin flavour.  I made the glaze a little too stiff so I ended up lightly icing the cake with it instead of drizzling it over top as I was supposed to.  It worked out great though as the glaze was so yummy, this way there was some in every bite!  I took the cake to my friend Lori's today for a play date with her and our friends Christina and Michelle and their babes.  Sydney even loved the cake, ate two pieces today and kept asking for more just to eat the icing off of!

Here's the recipe copied straight from 'i am baker' if you want to try it yourself:


Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake with Creamy Pumpkin Glaze

For the cake:
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
 For the glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled

For the cake:
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan (I use Pam Baking spray).
  2. Add sugar and butter to a large mixing bowl. Beat on low until light and fluffy.
  3. Slowly add the eggs, one at a time, and continue mixing until well incorporated.
  4. Add the pumpkin, sour cream and vanilla, mixing on slow speed until well blended.
  5.  While mixer is still going on slow, add the flour, one cup at a time. Next, add the cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Blend until well incorporated.
  6. Pour cake batter into prepared Bundt cake. Bake for 60 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clear.
 For the glaze:



  1. Place powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk milk into the powdered sugar. Continue whisking until no lumps appear.
  2. Continue whisking while adding vanilla, canned pumpkin, cinnamon and melted butter.
  3. Once glaze is smooth, gently pour over the top of the Bundt cake, allowing to drizzle down the side of the cake.
  4. Slice, serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment