Sunday 13 November 2011

Catch Up Day


I love Sundays.  There is something so awesome about a leisurely day stretched out before us with no plans and nothing pressing to do.  I love nothing more than waking up on Sunday morning with the three of us snuggled in bed in our jammies and asking the inevitable question: "What are we going to do today?"

We decided to do a Costco run this morning, couldn't believe what amazing things they have in stock this year for Christmas!  I am feeling in the mood to spend money, clearly any subliminal (or completely obvious!) messages they are trying to send are working on me!

After Costco, we headed to Starbucks and had a coffee with Syd.  She was so cute, sitting in a giant leather chair chattering away with us and eating her gingerbread loaf.  I am starting to get hooked on the Skinny Peppermint Mochas this season, haven't broken down and gotten an egg nog latte yet as the thought of having to wear a bikini in Hawaii in a few short weeks is making me a little more calorie conscious than normal!

Once we got home, I took advantage of our free afternoon to get a load of things done around the house, cleaned out the freezer, did loads of laundry, organized Sydney's room, un-packaged and put away heaps of birthday presents.  It felt good to get some things done that had been on the back burner for a while.  The house feels clean and in order, what a great feeling at the start of the week!

While I was doing some cleaning in the kitchen, Sydney heard me unloading the dishwasher.  Sydney absolutely loves the dishwasher, if she hears me unloading it from anywhere in the house, she will drop what she's doing and come running to help me take the dishes out.  Today, after I had unloaded all the dishes I was vacuuming in the family room and could hear her rattling around in the drawer that holds all her plastic bowls and plates etc.

When I got to the kitchen, this is what I saw:


She had unloaded her entire drawer into the dishwasher, it was so cute!!  She was very proud of herself, even started digging out the dishwasher detergent to get the load started, this girl is going to be a great housekeeper!

Being that it was a cold and sleepy kind of day, I asked Paul what he wanted for dinner and he didn't hesitate, "Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes" he replied!  So I whipped both up, it was a delicious and hearty meal on yet another perfect Sunday.

Paul loves Caesar Salad too so I decided to make one for dinner as well, it is my standby recipe and makes a delicious and classic Caesar dressing, here's the recipe if you want to give it a try:

Caesar Salad Dressing:

6 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 TBSP Red Wine Vinegar
1 TBSP Lemon Juice
1 Egg Yolk
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp anchovy paste
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl.  Mix together well.  Set aside and toss lettuce and croutons with it just before serving.  Sprinkle salad with additional freshly ground pepper and Parmesan cheese before serving.

I pulled up a bottle of wine from the basement that Paul and I had gotten years ago when we were visiting Red Rooster winery in the Okanagan to have with dinner tonight.  It was their 2005 Bantam, I wasn't sure if it was even going to be any good after sitting in my wine fridge in the basement for six years but it was absolutely delicious!  Such a nice way to end my day with a lovely glass of wine.


And so ends our long weekend together, it was so nice having Paul home with us for three straight days and we had a good mix of getting things done and having lots of down time too!  We are feeling rested and ready to face the week ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment