Sunday 20 November 2011

Christmas Cactus


When Sydney was born, we got some very lovely bouquets of flowers in beautiful shades of pink, such as this one from my friend Brandie, which came in a beautiful pink vase which I use all the time to this day!


And this one from my parents with the most beautiful, feminine pink roses.  I dried one from the bouquet and kept it, it's still gorgeous even two years later!


My sister gave me something a little different when she came to see Syd and I in the hospital, she brought me a Christmas cactus which bloomed beautifully about a month after I got it.  It was so nice to have something beautiful in the house during that rainy November in my first-month-of-being-a-Mom haze! 


 
Now, I would love to say that I have a green thumb.  Conceptually, I love the idea of nurturing and growing plants both indoors and out, but unfortunately I haven't been gifted with the ability to sustain plants very well.  Over the years, I've all but given up on growing gorgeous house plants, so I put this Christmas cactus in the window in the kitchen, watered it about six times in a year and was amazed when last December it bloomed again, even more beautifully than the first year!

I had all but forgotten about this poor plant until the other day when I was doing a little cleaning around the window sills and noticed that it has heaps of blooms ready to unfold over the next few weeks!  I proudly moved the plant to the bay window where I normally keep fresh cut flowers and have been watching it every day to see when the first flower will bloom.  This plant has been so kind to me even though I can't say the same back!


In retrospect, it was one of the loveliest gifts that I could have gotten around Sydney's birth as it's yearly blooming will continually remind me of those precious first few days and weeks with my girl, hunkered down at home during a dark and rainy November, happier than I'd ever been in my life!  Can't wait for it to bloom!

No comments:

Post a Comment