Monday 21 November 2011

A Day With Friends


One of the things that I love the most about being able to stay at home with Sydney full time, is that I have the chance to connect with friends during the day when I would otherwise be stuck in an office!  Today was a full day of getting together with friends, it was fantastic!

This morning we had my friend Brenna and her sweet girls Elia and Bianca over for tea.  Brenna and I worked together at Mackenzie for years and know a lot of common people in the finance industry, so we always have a lot to chat about!  I was thrilled to have the chance to serve tea using my brand new tea pot and mugs that I got at the Circle Craft fair recently, they are terrific, I love them!


Being that it was such a cold, dark, rainy day today, I figured that I would whip up a warm and comforting dessert to share with everyone, so I made this yummy apple crisp which I served with a side of French Vanilla ice cream, it was delightful!


Here's the recipe if you're feeling like a little bowl of comfort:

Apple Crisp

6 apples, sliced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 TBSP flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Topping:

3/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup melted butter

Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and mix with the sliced apples.  Put all in a greased baking dish.  Cover with the topping mixture which you have rubbed into crumbs.  Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until the top is nicely browned and the apples are soft.

This afternoon we headed down to the Vancouver Aquarium to meet up with our friends Mel and her babe Logan.  Mel and I have become "Aquarium Buddies" of sorts, we meet every few weeks for a play date with the kids at the Aquarium.  It's been neat to see how both Sydney and Logan are getting more and more familiar with the place and more confident in their roaming around!

Sydney spent a long time watching this giant sea turtle swim around:


In the new Children's Clown Cove they had starfish and other sea creatures in boxes of water for the kids to touch.  Syd wasn't too interested in touching them, or the water, just peered into the boxes at them!


In the Beluga area, they had tables set up so that the kids could get their faces painted.  Sydney opted to have her hand painted instead with, what else, a ladybug!  She was very proud of that painting, couldn't wait to show Dad when she got home!


Mel and I had a fantastic visit together, got caught up on what's happening in our lives and have decided that for our next play date we're going to take the kids to a toddler gym instead so that we don't have to spend so much time running after our two very active toddlers!

It really was such a good day, I love that I got to see two friends that I hadn't seen in a while and that Sydney had good fun playing with some of her little buddies.  Every Monday should be this good!

No comments:

Post a Comment