Monday 14 November 2011

Old Friends


Today was a fantastic day.  Sydney and I spent the day visiting with my friend Janice and her husband Brent who were in town on a layover on their way home to Alberta from a three week vacation in Australia.  Janice and I haven't seen each other since a few days before Sydney was born, she hadn't had the chance to meet my sweet girl until today.  It was so awesome to be able to introduce the two of them!

There really is something about old friends.  Janice and I have been friends since we were very little girls.  Five years ago, she got married in Las Vegas and asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding party.  Here's a shot of she and I celebrating on her wedding day:


Janice has the most amazing long, curly, red hair just like my Sweet Syd.  I totally chuckled to myself today when Janice leaned down to give Syd a kiss, their hair is identical, it looked like one giant mop when their heads were pressed together!  Too sweet!  Janice is expecting their first baby, a little girl, on March 24, 2012.  She is exactly half way through her pregnancy and it was such a treat to see her little belly today!

We spent the day visiting at our mutual friend Georgina's house.  Georgina just had her third babe two and a half weeks ago, a very petite little girl, Rachel Rose.  I spent the better part of the morning cuddling with wee Rachel, she is so precious.  Even though it was only two years ago, I really couldn't believe that Sydney was once that small!

It was a lovely visit with everyone, I left with an ache in my heart, I always miss Janice so much when we've recently spent some time together!  I promised her today that Sydney and I would make the trip to see her and her new babe during the year that she's off on mat leave, will look forward to having a visit then and seeing Janice in action as a Momma.

Janice and Brent got Sydney this fabulous dress from a great Australian store called Pumpkin Patch.  It is so cute and will totally fit Syd next summer, can't wait to put it on her and get some great pictures to send Jan!


When Sydney and I got home from Georgina's, we found a very special parcel addressed to Sydney waiting for us on the front porch.  My dear friend Brandie, who I have also been friends with since we were four years old, had sent Sydney a birthday present!


Brandie is an amazing person, she is so talented and creative, can make almost anything and loves doing all sorts of crafty things.  I knew that this package would hold something special and it really did!  Brandie sent this Create Your Own Lovable Huggable Friend.  It is a little bunny all ready to be personally stuffed and dressed with all of the accessories inside the box! So cool!

Just to make my point about how amazing Brandie is, she enclosed a little baggie of home grown dried lavender along with the bunny to put in with the stuffing it to make it smell good.  In one word....amazing!!


But more than the gift, what I will keep for Sydney in her memory box and treasure forever is a hand written note to Sydney that she enclosed.  It read:


Sydney:


Happy 2nd Birthday!  While searching for the best gift, I found this little bunny with your name all over it!  It reminds me of a little pink and white bunny that your Mom gave me when we were kids.  One year when I was a young adult, I got my very first dog.  His name was Shylo and I loved him more than anything but one day his name was mud when he chewed up your Mom's pink and white bunny!  I stitched the bunny back up and to this day she sits on the end of Joey's bed keeping him company while he sleeps.  I hope you enjoy your bunny as much as we enjoy your Mom's bunny!


Love, Auntie Brandie


I actually have no memory of having given Brandie a stuffed bunny but we have been friend for so many years and exchanged countless numbers of gifts that I couldn't possibly remember them all!  I am so touched by Brandie's words and how much she works to be a part of Sydney's life even though we live hundreds of miles apart!

So it was a day of treasuring old friends, I feel so blessed to have both Brandie and Janice as lifelong friends and look forward to creating many more memories with them both in the years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment