Saturday 19 November 2011

Vancouver Votes

 
Today was voting day for a civic mayoral election in Vancouver.  In years gone by, I often took for granted our right to vote and several times didn't even bother showing up to cast my vote, thinking that it wouldn't make a difference anyway.  Watching recent events in Egypt and Lybia has given me a new-found conviction for exercising my right to have my voice be heard through voting.  Knowing that there are those in this world that would give their lives for such a right, truly makes me feel very proud to be Canadian and live in a democratic country.

So this morning, I thought I would walk up to the elementary school at the end of our block with Sydney to model being a responsible citizen in choosing our new mayor.  Only problem was, we woke up to -3 degree temperatures this morning, everything was frozen solid and it was a bit too chilly to be taking Syd out for a walk!  So she and Daddy waited in the warm car while I went in to vote.  In the end, our current mayor Gregor Robertson, got re-elected so we're back to business as usual in Vancouver!

Paul and I were scrambling to think of something to do with Sydney today that didn't involve being outside, given the frigid temperatures.  I had gotten this coupon in the mail from the Gap for 60% off any two items just for today so we headed to the mall to see if we couldn't find a couple of things for Syd at Baby Gap.


I ended up getting her this super cute puffy winter coat and a new pair of skinny jeans.  So cute!  The coat looks so adorable on her, she looks like a little puffy snowman, so sweet!  Syd had a ton of fun racing through the mall, I'm thinking we may end up spending a few days there over the next short while as this cold weather continues! 


This afternoon I unpacked a little something I picked up at Costco the other day:



It's a cordless Electrolux Ergorapido Ultra vacuum.  I love it!  I have to say that keeping the floors clean, or at least crumb free, with a toddler in the house is one of my biggest challenges.  Over the last couple of weeks, both my Dustbuster and Shark electric broom bit the bullet, so my floors have been looking pitifully messy in between dragging the giant built-in vacuum hose around for a good clean.  I am so happy to have this new vacuum, it is super powerful and has a hand held vacuum built into the handle which you can remove for smaller jobs.   What a great buy!  It will certainly get tons of use around here!

Looking forward to a leisurely Sunday with Paul and my babe tomorrrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment