Thursday 8 December 2011

Red Wine Vinegar


I have to admit that I drink my fair share of wine.  Often I just feel like a glass or two with dinner and since I'm the only one in the house that drinks, I end up with leftover wine that sits on the counter for days on end!  I am always looking for great recipes with wine as an ingredient to use up the leftovers.

My friend Christina told me about the best recipe ever the other day for using up leftover red wine.  It is her family's secret recipe for homemade red wine vinegar and from what she tells me it is delicious!  It is so easy to make but literally has to sit for about six months or so in the fridge until it's ready to use.  This morning I whipped up a batch using some of the wine that I had gotten from the wine bottling party I recently went to.

I cleaned out an empty milk jug to store the vinegar in and, as I don't have room in my fridge to store it for the full six months, Christina has graciously offered to let me store it it the spare fridge in her garage.  I can't wait for six months down the line, I'm going to buy some pretty containers and bottle it up and give it away to friends, it will be a great homemade gift!

Here's the recipe if you want to give it a try yourself:

Red Wine Vinegar

For every two cups of red wine add a cup of white vinegar.  (If you like a very strong vinegar, use three cups of vinegar to two cups of red wine)
Add three or four tablespoons of salt to the wine and vinegar mixture and mix well until dissolved.  Store in a covered container and refrigerate for about six months.

No comments:

Post a Comment