Tuesday 3 January 2012

Back to Business as Usual

 
Today felt a little sad as Paul and Zach trudged off to work for the first time since our holidays began.  The past three days have been so great at home with all of us here, lazing around, snacking and watching TV and napping.  I can't remember the last time we had such a quiet few days together.  Syd loved having everyone at home just hanging out.  I think she was a little confused this morning when she woke up to a house without Daddy and Zach.

Syd and I went to visit our friends Sarah and Emma for a play date this morning.  It was so good to see them, we really missed them over the holidays!  Sydney asked about Emma several times while we were away, it was very cute to see how happy they were to see each other today!  We finally had the chance to have our belated gift exchange, we brought our baggie of treats with a few extra goodies tucked inside that we picked up in Hawaii for Emma. 

Sarah got us the most beautiful set of hand soap and lotion in gorgeous decorative glass bottles for our powder room.  They look so good in there and are such a step up from the usual plastic Bath and Body Works soap that I have on the counter!  It was fun to get a gift now with all the excitement of the holidays behind us.


I have been feeling inspired to get cracking on putting Sydney's new playroom together in our lower level.  I am trying to do it as inexpensively and creatively as possible so I decided that I would re-use a frame that we had hanging in the room already and frame one of Sydney's original paintings.  I think it looks fantastic!  I am using the primary colours that she used as my launching pad for the colour scheme for the room, everything will be in varying shades of red, blue, green and yellow.


Yesterday we were visiting with Danny and Heidi and when I mentioned that I was putting a playroom together for Syd they pulled out this fantastic rug that they were no longer using and passed it along to us for the room.  It is the perfect size and shape, it is as though it was custom made for our space!  It really makes the room look so much more like how I had envisioned it. 


So late last night I drew up a design of how I envisioned the room and made a list of things that I need to buy to complete my project.  Then I hit Craigslist with a vengeance to see if I couldn't find any of the items I was hoping to get. 

I have decided that I am going to do different stations in the room: an art station, dress up, blocks, kitchen etc.  One of the things I was thinking I would get is another little kitchen for the room and I found this beauty for a steal of a deal on Craigslist yesterday and Syd and I drove out to West Vancouver to pick it up this afternoon:



It is just perfect for the little cubby that I wanted to put it in and the lady even threw in some extra plastic pots and food and a little toaster to use with it.  Sydney loved it all and was very excited when she saw it all set up in her new room.


On our way home from picking the little kitchen up, Sydney announced loudly in the backseat: "Mommy!  Coffee!  Treat!  Table!"  She wanted to stop for a coffee and a treat and sit at a table, so we went to our new favourite haunt, Bean Town on Dunbar and had a coffee together.  I love how she will sit across the table from me quietly eating her cookie and drinking water from a glass like a big girl and just look around as though she's there to people-watch. 

It was such a dreary, rainy day today that we stopped to pick up a bright and cheerful bouquet of tulips on our way home to brighten up our kitchen.  They are just what we needed to add a little life to this drab-weather day!


Tomorrow we officially start our week with our activities for this term starting up again.  I am looking forward to getting back into our routine but do feel a bit wistful that these long, lazy days of being on holidays having everyone together all warm and cozy, with no where to go are over.   Guess we're back to business as usual!

No comments:

Post a Comment