Monday 16 January 2012

The Best Laid Plans


When I went to bed last night I was really looking forward to today. After three days of being hauled up in the house with Sydney sick with a cold, I was dying to get back to our usual busy week of activities.  We had a full day planned, Sydney's dance class in the morning, then were heading downtown to get my hair cut and coloured with Amy, home for nap and lunch and the day was going to wrap up with a fun play date at our friend Andrea's house.

The first clue that today wasn't quite going to work out as I had planned should have been this:


It snowed to beat the band today, we had a good three inches on the ground by 9:30 this morning.  Boo, hiss.

Then the phone rang at 7:55am which is never a good thing.  It was Syd's dance teacher, Billie, calling to say that she was sicker than a dog and that class was cancelled this morning.  "No worries," I thought, "we'll just stay in our pajamas until it's time to go to Amy's."  In fact, I was just thinking that maybe we'd leave a bit early for downtown so that I could quickly check out the kid's clothing section at H&M, when the phone rang again.

It was Amy calling to say that it was snowing like mad downtown and that cars were slipping and sliding all down her road, it was treacherous.  She didn't want me driving to see her with the baby in the car, she's like my second Mom, so sweet.  "Just stay at home, bundle the baby up and go outside and enjoy the snow!" she prodded.  Okay, I could do that.

So I dug out Syd's snowsuit from last year, squeezed her into it, put on her new Sorel's and a toque and took her outside.  She crunched tentatively into the snow in her new boots down the stairs to the back yard.  When we reached the bottom of the stairs she loudly proclaimed: "No thanks!" and started marching back up the stairs to go back inside.  My little snow bunny....


So we sat inside like a couple of house cats until 3:30 arrived and it was time to head to Andrea's house.  Thank God for friends, the play date was the highlight of our day!  It was so nice to see Andrea and her kids again and visit with our friends Saskia and Myrtle who came over as well.  The kids had a blast tearing all over the house, it was noisy and busy and fun.

So that was our Monday, rather a slow start to the week.  I think someone was trying to tell us to stay home for just one more day....

No comments:

Post a Comment