Sunday 15 January 2012

A Frosty Saturday

It definitely feels like winter in Vancouver.  The temperatures are dipping below zero and today we woke up to a skiff of snow all over the backyard.  The sun always seems to make an appearance at some point throughout the day though, and today was no exception.  The sun was streaming through our front windows come midday, it was awesome!

We had a very mellow day today as Sydney is still getting over her cold and is cutting two more of her two year old molars, poor kid, double whammy!  We spent the morning at home getting a few things done around the house and then went out to run some errands.  We decided to take a stroll in South Granville, I was itching to buy something and couldn't resist all the post-Christmas sales!

I have been looking for a pair of saddle-brown boots for the longest time, have looked at hundreds of boots and can never seem to find just what I'm looking for.  I saw this pair the other day in the window at Ecco and went in to try them on today, they are fantastic!  They are the best colour of brown and are a great casual, riding boot style, I love them!  I only wish they were a titch taller, but given they were half price and so close to perfect, I brought them home with me! 

I love boots and often buy a pair at the end of the season when they're on sale and tuck them away for next year.  I love discovering a brand new pair of boots still in their box in the fall when I'm rummaging through my closet looking for warmer clothes. 

I tried a new recipe this week from my trusty old Best of Bridge cookbook for Tex Mex Fajitas, the recipe is below if you want to give them a try.  These very yummy fajitas require marinating the beef all day, but are well worth planning ahead for, they were a big hit with the boys!  I didn't follow the recipe exactly for the toppings, fried some bell peppers and onions and chopped up cilantro and made a coleslaw mix to go with, it was a good combo!







Tomorrow Paul and I are going to try and steal a few minutes to ourselves and have Sydney play with her cousins Issy and Nathan for a bit while we spend some time together.  One of my new year's resolutions was to make more time for Paul and my relationship, having a baby has been hard on us, we certainly don't get as much time alone as we used to!  Am looking forward to some concentrated time alone with my honey! 

Tex Mex Fajitas

2 lb. (1 kg) flank steak. (1 lb. serves 3 people) or 3 chicken breasts, skinned, boned and halved.

Marinade:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
1/3 cup red wine vinegar (eliminate for chicken)
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. cumin
2 large garlic cloves, minced
6 large flour tortillas

Toppings:


onion slices, sauteed
green and red pepper strips, sauteed
shredded lettuce
guacamole, sour cream and salsa

Combine marinade ingredients in shallow casserole. Score both sides of steak. Add meat. Cover and refrigerate several hours. Remove from marinade and barbecue. Slice in thin strips across the grain. Wrap in warm tortillas with onions and peppers and any or all of the other toppings. Serves 6 gringos.

No comments:

Post a Comment