Monday 9 January 2012

Full Moon


Tonight is a full moon.  Now I have never been a big believer in the tales of the effects of a full moon on people, so I found it particularly amusing when I was pregnant how everyone talked about how the labour and delivery rooms are always full on the night of a full moon.  Apparently it's true, somehow the full moon brings on labour, who knew?

I will never forget the night, exactly 4 weeks before my scheduled due date, when my water broke and I went into labour.  As Paul and I stepped out into the cold, crisp November night to drive to the hospital, I glanced up into the sky right before jumping into the car to see nothing else but a giant, white full moon.  Of course it was a full moon, everyone had been telling me this all along!!


Well the full moon continues to plague me to this day.  It's amazing how something that was completely insignificant to me for my entire life has suddenly become something I watch so carefully.  You see, Sydney has never been a great sleeper.  In fact, I can count on one hand the number of nights where I've had more than four consecutive hours of sleep since she's been born.  I have read a ton of books and websites on baby sleep and have read several times from Moms of both babies and older kids that their children's sleep is particularly disturbed during the full moon.


I poo-pawed this for a long time until I started noticing a pattern with Sydney, about once a month I would have the worst time getting her to sleep and she would wake up half a dozen or more times in a night.  I started tracking it, and wouldn't you know it, it always happened around the full moon.  Weird.

So I just spent the last two hours lulling my girl to sleep tonight under the light of a bright January full moon and expect to be up to see the moon a few more times tonight before the morning hits.  We'll just chalk this up to another one of those things they never tell you about motherhood....

No comments:

Post a Comment