Wednesday 18 January 2012

Hump Day



Well it seems that Vancouver isn't escaping the deep freeze that seems to be sweeping across the country!  We had sub zero temperatures all day here!  It was tempting to just stay home with Syd and wile the hours away playing in our warm house, but we decided to brave the cold and get on with our day as usual.

I am feeling quite proud of myself in that I am fulfilling my new year's resolutions in such a timely manner this year.  I had resolved at the beginning of the year to find help in any capacity that I could, and so I got in touch with Eryn, my Mother's Helper, and have booked her to come and help out with Syd two afternoons a week on an ongoing basis.  This, plus the little break I get while Syd is in preschool should give me just enough time to catch my breath during the day and get a few things done.  So far, so good.  It seems to be working out well.

I have been looking for a housekeeper on and off for the past few months.  I always feel a twinge of guilt in having to pay someone to clean my house when I am home full time with only one child but somehow I can never manage to keep up with the cleaning.  We have a huge house, six full bathrooms to clean and so much space that needs attention.  It is a full time job just keeping everything tidy and straightened up that I never seem to get around to the actual cleaning and scrubbing.


I could write a book on the characters that I have interviewed this month for the housekeeping position.  I had a number of people not even show up for their confirmed interviews and the ones who did were totally not what I was looking for.  Sigh...it was looking hopeless until this afternoon when I met with another lady who, from all outward appearances, seems like the perfect person!  She has six years of cleaning experience working at a high end bed and breakfast and is a young and energetic UBC student just looking to make some extra cash.  We had such a great meeting that I hired her on the spot and she is going to start on Monday, hooray!  I am so excited to get the house back into it's clean state, it's ridiculous!  Hiring this lady was definitely the highlight of my day!!

Tonight for dinner I decided to make some homemade pizzas.  I love making pizza dough in my bread maker, I have a great recipe that has a can of beer in it, makes the dough so light and fluffy!  So I threw the ingredients in the bread maker this afternoon and Syd and I made pizzas together for dinner, it was great.  She loves rolling out the dough, spreading the sauce and putting the toppings on the pizza.  I guess we've done it enough times that she even knows to spread all the toppings and sauce evenly over the dough, in fact she's a little anal about it, was rearranging the olives on the top of the pizza to make sure that every square inch was covered, too cute!


With this sudden bout of cold weather, I am feeling more and more like cocooning at home and am really having to ramp myself up to get out and about during the day.  I sure was glad that we made it out today, it was good for Sydney and I to get some fresh air and do something different in the day than hang around the house.  Am looking forward to our mild south coast weather returning!!  Happy Hump Day, hope yours was a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment