Thursday 26 January 2012

Scrapbooking Day

 
Before Sydney was born, I decided that I was going to create a scrapbook of her first year of life, month by month.  I had visions of setting some time aside each month to work on a page or two that highlighted that month in her life and wistfully looking at the completed project on her first birthday, marveling at how far she'd come in such a short time.  Looking back now, I think it was funny that I had such great aspirations for what I could accomplish during that first year of Motherhood!


So during my last few weeks of pregnancy, I got started on the scrapbook.  I had taken several courses to learn different techniques at Scrapbook Warehouse, and had loaded up on piles of pink paper and stickers to create my masterpiece.  The first few pages included all of my belly shots that I had taken with Tiny Toes Photography when I was seven months pregnant and all of Sydney's ultrasound pictures.  Funnily enough, at just the moment that I was finishing putting in my last picture of Sydney's ultrasound, my water broke and I went into labour.  I'll never forget what I was doing the moment I went into labour!


So here we are, 26 months later, and today, for the first time since that fateful day, I am finally getting around to completing Sydney's scrapbook.  This kind of happened by accident, to be honest.  This afternoon I had a new Mother's Helper, Nadine, come by for the first time.  Now Sydney is very much a Mommy's girl and doesn't take quickly to other people, especially when she senses that they are there to take care of her and that Mommy might be going somewhere.  I had no expectations at all today of getting anything done while Nadine was here, I totally expected that Syd would be clinging to me like a koala bear and that the three of us would just hang out to give her and Nadine a chance to get used to each other.

You can imagine my surprise, when five minutes after Nadine arrived, Sydney was marching up the stairs asking her to come and see the toys in her bedroom!  She absolutely loved Nadine right from the get-go and played outside with her in the backyard, did some artwork and played Barbies in her playroom.  She could have cared less where I was!  It was fantastic!

So I thought that I'd pounce on the opportunity to get something done that I had thinking about, and intending to do, for, quite literally, two years!  I dragged out all of my scrapbook supplies and set out to get as many pages completed as I could.  I couldn't believe how quickly it all went once I got started!  I guess all that time I'd spent thinking about how I wanted to see it come together really made the process happen a lot more quickly than usual!


It felt so good to get it done!  I still have a few more pages to do, will try and get them done next week when Nadine's here again, but I made such headway today!  Yet another thing I can scratch off my New Year's Resolution list!  Hooray!!

No comments:

Post a Comment