Tuesday 10 January 2012

Sydney's Hannukah

  
The day we left for Maui happened to be the first night of Hannukah.  Now, typically I would pack up our menorah and candles and eight ready-wrapped presents for my girl and schlep them to the island with us, but Air Canada has introduced this annoying new baggage fee for every checked bag, so space was at a premium this year and the presents just didn't make the cut.

So I decided that we would celebrate Hannukah on our own schedule this year and began to light to candles starting in the new year for eight straight nights. 

Every night while Sydney was asleep I would arrange the candles for the next day in the menorah and wrap a gift for her and leave it all on the kitchen counter.  When she came down in the morning she would excitedly exclaim "Sydney, present, candles!"  And we would wait for Daddy to come home and light the candles and open her gift.

Boy did she get what was going on this year.  She was so excited to light the candles and get that gift that poor Paul couldn't even get his coat off after coming in the door before she'd be begging him to come and light the candles!


As she was showered with so many amazing presents for her birthday, I tucked a few away to re-gift for Hannukah this year and also wrapped up the gifts that I bought with the money my parents had sent which meant I didn't need to do a whole lot of shopping this year!  I always start the gifts with something really small on the first night and work my way up to her biggest and best gift on the last night.  Yesterday, the last night, she opened her new Scuttlebug tricycle from Grandma and Grandpa.  She has been riding it non-stop ever since, she loves it!!


One of my favourite gifts that I did get for her is this very cool lunch bag, it's so pretty, it looks like a purse!


I happily looked at the calendar to see when Hannukah falls this year and was so happy to see that it is in early December, shouldn't conflict with our Hawaii time at all, so we can do it on time this year!  It was so much fun creating this tradition for Sydney and giving her her own personal Hannukah this year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment