Friday 3 February 2012

It All Works Out


Today was a great reminder for me of how things always work out the way they're meant to.  The day didn't exactly start as I was anticipating.  In fact, thirty seconds after I got out of bed, I was kneeling over the toilet bowl barfing like there was no tomorrow.  This went on non-stop for at least a half an hour, at which point I phoned Paul at the office, trembling and crying, and begging him to come home.  He was, as timing always goes, in the middle of a major procedure on a patient which was going to take him the better part of the morning, so he couldn't leave his office.  "I'll call my sister!" was the last thing I remember him saying before hanging up and begging Syd to hop into bed with me with the ipad in tow, wondering how I was going to make it through the day with her. 

Exactly twenty minutes later, Paul's sister arrived on my doorstep.  I have never been so relieved to see someone at my front door in my life!  I could tell that Sydney was feeling a little upset by the way the morning had started, while she typically clings to me like crazy when anyone comes to the door, this morning, mercifully, she reached out for Elaine's arms, wanting to be held by her!


My brave little girl got dressed and headed off in the car with Auntie Elaine to go to her house without a tear or a peep.  I kissed her goodbye and off she went, honestly she has never done this before with anyone!  She couldn't have picked a better day to assert her independence.

I crawled back into bed feeling like a sac of crap and feeling rather sorry for myself that cold and flu season seems to have hit me pretty hard this year.  I never used to get sick and I feel as though I've been under the weather at least three times already this season!  I drifted in and out of sleep all morning feeling very strange being in the house without Sydney being there, doesn't happen very often!


Meanwhile, Sydney was having the time of her life with Auntie Elaine and Uncle Harry.  Elaine pulled out all of her daughter's vintage toys for Syd to play with and put her hair in ponytails.  Then they all piled into the car and went out for crepes for breakfast.  After breakfast, they took Syd down to Southlands to the farms to see the horses and animals there, then went to Bubbie's house for a visit.  Syd was such a good girl for Harry and Elaine and they sincerely seemed to love spending the day with her.  Harry kept e-mailing Paul pictures of what they were up to, one of them had "We'll keep her" as the subject line.  I think he meant it!  They seemed a little sad to bring her home once Paul got home from the office.


So all of this is to say that, my new year's resolution this year was to get help in any capacity that I could, and today I did just that.  I had been thinking for some time that I wanted to take Elaine up on her offer to babysit Sydney for the day, but wasn't sure how Syd was going to behave for her.  Today went so well, they had such a fabulous time together and it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't woken up sicker than a dog!  It all worked out the way it was supposed to, and the great thing is that now I know that in the days and weeks ahead, I can drop Syd off with Elaine to steal a bit of time for myself or with Paul.  A dream come true!

So there's my positive spin on an otherwise pretty dismal day!  I am happy to report that I am feeling somewhat better tonight, although I haven't yet put anything in my very angry stomach today...will wait and see what tomorrow brings but one thing is for sure, it will all work itself out!

No comments:

Post a Comment