Sunday 5 February 2012

Superbowl Sunday

 
Today was Superbowl Sunday.  Now, I have never been a football fan, I never quite got the fascination with the game and always found it a bit confusing to be honest, but every year on this day I find myself somehow sucked into the excitement and watching the game.  I don't know what it was, but for some reason today, I seemed to understand a few more of the rules and was following it better than I have in previous years.

So Paul, Syd and I snuggled up on the couch for four hours this afternoon watching the game, flicking channels and playing with toys.  It was a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon especially seeing I am still not feeling 100%.  This flu bug seems to have taken a hold of me and I haven't been able to eat much of anything for the past three days.  On the plus side, my jeans are fitting much looser and I think I may have lost those few pounds of Christmas baking that were camping out on my butt!


It was another gorgeous, sunny, blue sky day here in Vancouver.  We took Syd to Granville Island this morning, wandered through the market and fed the birds.  I love how Syd is fearless and cautious all in the same moment at this age.  She actually amazes me at how appropriately cautious she is when she needs to be.  There happened to be a ton of seagulls at Granville Island today.  For anyone who lives by the ocean, you know that these birds can be incredibly aggressive, they will literally swoop down and take food right out of your hands, given the chance.  Syd had a little snack trap filled with Cheerios which she was spreading around for the seagulls to eat.  One bird in particular started approaching Sydney, spreading it's wings and shrieking loudly.  Syd was great, she didn't cry or get upset, simply backed up slowly and looked around to see where I was standing and then calmly walked over to me.  It didn't freak her out at all, even though the bird was almost as big as her with it's wings outstretched.  She just casually kept chucking Cheerios out for it with Mom safely by her side.


I am feeling more and more each day like Sydney is becoming this independent little girl.  I love that I can leave her for a few minutes playing in her bedroom or playroom without worrying about her hurting herself or choking on something or getting into trouble.  I almost don't want to say it, for fear that it will jinx me, but my days with her are getting significantly easier lately.   It's nice.

Here's hoping that I wake up feeling like my old self again tomorrow morning and that we'll have a great week filled with fun activities together!

No comments:

Post a Comment