Tuesday 13 March 2012

Ear Infection


So about a week ago, just as I was putting Syd to bed, she started holding her right ear and complaining of an "Owee Ear."  Paul and I looked at each other with dread, thinking she was getting an ear infection.  I waited throughout the night for signs of a fever or the pain to get worse, but by the morning she seemed completely back to normal so I assumed she was just stalling, not wanting to go to bed.

I had all but forgotten about this incident until a few days later when she mentioned her "owee ear" again in passing.  Still no fever, no crying in immense pain, none of the usual symptoms associated with an ear infection, but she was acting a bit off, but whatever.  So we got on with our week.

Then Saturday night hit and she spent the entire night up barfing all over the place.  By mid morning Sunday she was fine again.  Weird.  I had resolved that I was going to take her to the doctor either way to check her out on Monday but really didn't think it was anything serious.

Sunday night was another sleepless, vomit-filled night.  I have honestly never done so much laundry in my life.  Load after freaking load of puke soaked pajamas, sheets, pillowcases, towels, clothes....the smell may never leave my nose!

So I called my doctor first thing on Monday morning only to find that she was off for the week for spring break, of course she was, because I had spent the entire previous week ignoring what was becoming blatantly obvious, Sydney had an ear infection.  Luckily, I got in with a locum today who confirmed that my girl has a whopping ear infection in her right ear which was likely also causing the vomiting.

So off to the pharmacy we went to get the thick, pink syrupy Amoxicillin that hasn't changed since I was a kid!  After a couple of doses, Syd seemed better already and Mom has learned a few lessons along the way:

1. Don't ignore your child when she tells you something hurts, it really does!  Get it checked out!
2. Don't wait to get in to see your kid's doctor, assuming they're in their office waiting for you to call.
3. Have more than one set of sheets for your bed unless you like sleeping on a layer of scratchy bath towels.
4. Listen to your instincts, if you think something's wrong, it probably is, don't brush it off!

Lessons learned.  Motherhood is humbling.  Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment