Wednesday 11 April 2012

Bloom

 
 
At the end of last week I got a very special package in the mail.  It was a book that I had pre-ordered months ago, called "Bloom."  This long awaited book is written by Kelle Hampton, a Mom whose blog I read faithfully every day! 

Kelle has two daughters, her youngest, named Nella, is two and half, just like Sydney.  Nella was born with Down Syndrome and Kelle's blog is a wonderful memoir of her daily joys in raising both of her girls.  Kelle has taken what could have been a devastating life event for some people and turned her life into the most amazing, joyful, complete existence possible.  She has graciously documented her story in a beautiful book and I was thrilled to get it last week!


This book is so beautiful, hard cover and filled with fabulous colour photos which Kelle, a professional photographer, has taken of her family.  I haven't been able to put it down since I got it, her story is so personal, so emotionally charged that you really feel as though you are living through her experiences. 

Have you ever read a book where the characters come so alive and is so real that you actually feel a little sad while you're reading it, knowing that the book will inevitably come to an end and that your heart will feel as though you've lost a good friend?  For me, that's the mark of a really good book and Kelle's book has me feeling this way already.  She strikes so many chords with me in her experience in having a baby, I feel as though we are friends that have known each other forever.

I am slowly savouring this book, reading some every night before I go to bed.  It is such a lovely way to end my day, I have rarely known anyone who is so amazingly positive and joyful, it is inspiring!

Kelle's blog "Enjoying the Small Things" is well worth visiting, click here for a visit!

This morning Sydney and I whipped up a batch of homemade butternut squash and ricotta ravioli.  I found an amazing recipe online that uses wonton wrappers as the homemade pasta, works like a charm and makes for half the work! 


Sydney was only too happy to help me make the ravioli this morning and spent quite a bit of time stuffing and folding her own, very cute and quite talented I might add!



The ravioli was delicious, the roasted butternut squash made for such a tasty filling, next time I'm going to experiment by adding some different spices, maybe nutmeg, maybe cumin.  I will be making this again and again so I'll be sure to tweak the recipe to get it perfect, although it is great just the way it stands!  The recipe is below if you want to give it a try!


I got another parcel stuffed full of the cutest clothes for Syd for the summer season this week, here's a few of our favourites.  I especially love the flowered hoodie!
 









Hope you are having a great week, wherever you are!


Roasted Butternut Squash & Ricotta Ravioli

1 pkg wonton wrappers
1 butternut squash
canola or olive oil for cooking
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup ricotta or soft goat cheese
1 TBSP maple syrup

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Split the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake on a rimmed sheet or in a baking dish for 40 minutes, or until soft.
Scoop out the cooled roasted squash (you can do this in advance if you like while you’re cooking something else, and stash the squash in the fridge for a few days) and mash it with ricotta, a wee drizzle of maple syrup (and some of flax oil if you want to boost omega 3s) and some salt and pepper. Assemble them one or two at a time, placing a small spoonful in the middle of a wrapper, dipping your finger in water and running it along two edges, then fold over and press to seal, squishing out any air bubbles in the process.
Once the ravioli are assembled they can be frozen in a single layer and then transferred to freezer bags, or dropped into boiling water (don’t crowd the pot) for 3-5 minutes, until they float to the surface and the pasta is tender. Drain well and serve with butter – browned butter, if at all possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment