Monday 16 April 2012

Sydney's First Yoga Class

 

I love yoga.  For years when I was working downtown, a couple of lunch hours a week, I would sneak across the street to the YWCA and do an Ashtanga Yoga class.  I always returned to the office feeling so peaceful and calm, it was the perfect stress relief on a crazy busy day!

When I was pregnant with Sydney I found a tiny yoga studio a couple of blocks from my house that offered prenatal yoga classes.  The studio could only fit about six people so it was always a very intimate and quiet time. Many, many times since Syd has been born, I've thought back to that tiny studio and the time that I had to reflect on this new baby that was coming and everything that was changing with my body.  It really was such special time, even though at the time it seemed like simply a good idea to stay limber while I was pregnant!


Since I had Sydney, I haven't been to a single yoga class.  I always had good intentions of finding a Mom and baby class before she could walk, but never did.  By the time I got my act together and wanted to find a place where I could bring her, she was toddling around and was no longer welcome at Mom and baby yoga.  I had sort of resolved that yoga was one of those things that I was going to have to give up for a few years until Syd was in school and I had some consistent time on my own.

That was until just recently when I discovered that my friend Christina is teaching a Family Tot yoga class at our local community centre.  I was only too thrilled to sign up and today Sydney and I went together for the first time.


Zach and his girlfriend Miriam, got Sydney this fabulous yoga outfit from Ivivva Yogawear for her second birthday. Everything was a size 4 and miles too big for Syd, so I tucked it away in the back of her dresser thinking that I'd pull it out in a year and a half or so. 


I pulled the outfit out for today's occasion, Sydney's first yoga class.  She looked so adorable dressed in her yoga shirt (dress!) tights (not so tight...) and hoodie!  I quickly snapped a picture with my iphone and texted it to both Zach and Miriam to show them how sweet Syd looked in her little yoga outfit.  She, of course, had to add her own special flare to the outfit so she pulled a skirt on over top of the leggings and put on a woolly winter toque before she was ready to head out the door!

Christina's class was so fun!  She had such a clever and fun way of incorporating the kids into the classes with cheerful music, props and simple instructions.  She created such a fun, safe and inviting atmosphere, you could tell that the kids felt happy and safe and free to have fun!  After class I asked Syd what her favourite part of the class was and she said "the bean bags."  We had so much fun working on our balance trying to balance bean bags on different parts of our bodies.  It was one of my favourite parts too!

I loved having the chance to practice a few poses, it made me itch to get back into a regular practice again!  And as an added bonus, this muscle in my low back that has been tugging at me for a few weeks seems to have worked itself out during today's class, I feel as limber as a gazelle!

Syd and I are looking forward to going to Christina's classes once a week for the next few months!  My girl should be a regular yoga guru by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment