Saturday 5 May 2012

Bird


 
Today's word, for the photo of the day, is bird.  I thought about this word all morning, wondering how I was going to get a picture of a bird today.  Maybe I'd take Sydney to the park and hope that I'd see a bird who would stay still enough for me to get a cool picture.  Maybe I could drive out to UBC and hope to spot a bald eagle.  Well, the day got away on me and neither of these things happened.

So I started wandering around the house with my camera trying to think if I had anything significant with a bird on it for today's picture.  Then it came to me.....and I snapped this picture of the two yellow canaries in the antique bird cage in Sydney's bedroom.


Before Syd was born, I spent a great deal of time shopping for things for her and her nursery.  I have no natural talent when it comes to interior design, so I literally just bought things that I liked and didn't worry so much about them working together in the space.  In the end, I had everything I needed, but her room looked a bit like a kid's swap meet, filled with mix-matched things that were ill-placed and didn't go together so well.  When she turned a year old, after spending literally hours and hours in her room nursing her and was sick of the cacophony that was her room, I decided that enough was enough and I was going to have to hire some professional help to give her a proper little girl's room.


So I had a consult with Daniel from Lord Twig Design.  I instantly loved Daniel, he had such an easy going and likeable way about him.  I knew that I would enjoy working with him on this project.  And I truly did!  It was such fun having him come by with samples and pictures and fabrics and being able to choose what I loved, knowing that he was going to pull it all together in a cohesive fashion to create the room of my dreams.

He spent three days in Sydney's room transforming it into a lovely space that she will grow into and loves so much!  He really went out of his way to delight and surprise me, even went so far as to put police tape over the door so that I wouldn't peek at night once he'd gone home and at the end of day three, he did the big reveal!  I had chosen most of the items in the room, so had seen them all independently, but was amazed at the final result when they were all put together!

Daniel likes to add something to every project to surprise his client, and his surprise for me was this beautiful antique birdcage which he strung two yellow canaries in, and hung beautifully on Sydney's wall.  It is one of my favourite things in her room and Syd loves when I blow lightly on the birds and they "fly" around their cage. 


I love these little birds and am so glad to have thought to taken their picture today!

No comments:

Post a Comment