Thursday 31 May 2012

Waffles

 
 
I decided late last night that today was going to start in a very special way.  You see, Sydney has really been embracing being two these days.  Her favourite word is 'no', she is fiercely independent and generally uncooperative when it come to most things that Mom wants her to do.  I take some comfort in the fact that, developmentally speaking, she is right on target with her behaviour but it doesn't make it any less painful.  Most days I find us knocking heads at some point or wanting to pull my hair out in frustration.  I lie in bed at night watching her sleep like a little angel and wonder where in the world my sweet, helpless baby went and who is this firey, independent little girl in her place?

Late last night I was reading one of my favourite Mommy blogs, Enjoying the Small Things.  Kelle, the blog's author, wrote a poignant entry about celebrating each day and making even an ordinary day extraordinary.  I took her words to heart and snuck down to the kitchen to dig out my waffle maker, determined to create a special memory today.  I set the kitchen table with fancy dishes and wee glass tea cups and saucers and decided that first thing this morning Sydney and I were going to make waffles together and have a very special breakfast.


It was a lovely way to start our day.  Sydney was thrilled to see all the pretty dishes set up at the table and helped me pour the ingredients into the bowl and stir things up and then stood guard over the waffle iron watching until there was no more steam, the sure sign that they were ready to eat. 


When hers was done, I broke it into quarters and asked her what she wanted on it.  "Peanut butter and Nutella with bananas" she confidently declared.  Kind of a funny topping, but to each her own!


We had a special time together over breakfast and I savoured every moment of it as I knew the day was likely to bring me more guff later on....

Sydney had school this morning.  When we arrived at class the teacher handed me the most precious tile with Sydney's hand print, a copy of one that will hang forever on the Wall of Friendship at the school because of a donation that we made.  It is so precious and is going to have a special spot in my new upstairs office that is fast taking shape!


The school cafeteria was selling whole pies today so I decided to treat Paul to a strawberry rhubarb pie for our dessert tonight.  It was yummy!  I don't bake pie very often, so it was  real treat to have a homemade one!


Today's very last photo a day for the month of May is meant to be 'something beautiful':


Sydney is so into painting her own toes with paint lately ever since I painted her nails with polish a few weeks ago!  She really thought this was a beautiful job!

It has been so fun doing the photo a day for the month of May!  I have found new inspiration to keep up with the daily blogging and have found such fun and wonderful things to capture pictures of!  Great fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment