Tuesday 19 June 2012

Out of the Mouths of Babes

 
Tonight while Sydney was in the bathtub, she looked up at me and said: "Mommy, I'm almost an adult."  I barely had time to respond, when she clarified, "Well, almost an adult girl."  No truer words could have been spoken.  I often think that Sydney is two going on twenty.  She is so smart and clever and figures things out so quickly. 

Her brightness comes in handy sometimes.  Like when I've misplaced my keys or cellphone somewhere in the house, which seems to be happening a lot these days!  Today, I was hunting around for my cell phone and casually called out to Sydney while she was playing to see if she knew where I'd put it.  "In Grandma's room!", she yelled.  She was right, I had left it in the guest room, smarty pants!

Today was Syd's second last day of preschool for this year.  I signed up to be the volunteer parent for the last day of class this coming Thursday, so today was my last morning to wander Oakridge Centre toddler-free, until she returns to school in the fall.  I savoured every minute.  Hit up every one of my favourite stores, had the best spicy basil chicken from the food fair, did a quick shop at Safeway and then grabbed myself a tall hazelnut soy latte from Starbucks which I quietly and slowly sipped, before heading back to the school to fetch Syd for the last time. 


It feels a bit sad to think that we won't be seeing a lot of her little buddies from school on a regular basis anymore.  A lot of the kids in her class are going to preschool elsewhere in the fall, but there are five or six kids that we know who will be joining her for Bet Preschool in September.  This little class has become like a family of sorts for Syd.  She talks about the kids in class all the time.  I love that she loves being at preschool and has made many good friends there.  Her first school experience has been exceptional, I couldn't have asked for more!


Feeling ever so wistful today, I got Syd a couple of presents to mark the end of her school year.  A few new fun t-shirts for the summer and a Dora backpack that she has been asking for for weeks!  She was so cute when I gave her the backpack she exclaimed: "Oh Mommy, I love it SO much!"  Then a few minutes later while we were driving in the car she said, completely unprompted "Thank you Mommy for Dora backpack!"  What a sweet, sweet girl I've been blessed with!

No comments:

Post a Comment