Monday 23 July 2012

Art Day

 
Yesterday I looked at the forecast for today and quickly thought to myself that I was going to have to think of a good indoor activity for Sydney and I today!  We woke up to the sound of rain pelting down, it felt like a cool fall day.

I have been feeling really good about the number of items scratched off of our summer bucket list, although I have to admit that I've been adding a few as well as I keep thinking of great things that Syd and I can do together.  A few of them are indeed indoor activities, so today I took advantage of this blip in our summer weather to scratch yet another item off of the list!

I heard about this amazing art supply store called Urban Source from an art teacher that teaches at Arts Umbrella.  This Main Street shop sells alternative art material, items that would normally be considered cast-offs from all different industries, and re-purposes them as craft supplies.  It is so cool and keeps a ton of stuff from otherwise being thrown in the garbage!

The store has a bunch of bins filled with all sorts of things from material scraps to bottles, old slides, buttons, paper, postcards, ribbon, you name it!  When you arrive at the store you pick up a bag of varying sizes and stuff it full to the brim with as much stuff as you can for one set price.


This is Sydney's kind of store!  She could fill her little basket to her heart's content and shove everything into  our bag at the end of her shopping spree and for slightly over $6 we left with a boatload of arts and crafts supplies!  It was so fun watching Sydney go around from bucket to bucket tossing things into her basket saying "Mommy, I buy this" every time she chose something!



We came home with so many interesting things along with a couple of bottles of glue and some glitter to complete our project!  We decided to make a collage with all of the different and unusual things that Sydney had collected.  It looked so cool in the end!


What a fun way to spend a morning!  We will be going back to this shop for sure and I'll be thinking up lots of ideas for crafts that we can do too!  It was a great way to entertain Sydney on a rainy day!

We also decided to do a little baking today and made a banana split loaf, banana bread with chocolate chips and pecans.  Sydney can peel and mash the overripe bananas all by herself now, I can tell she feels very proud of herself that she is legitimately helping me in the kitchen!


Speaking of things she can do all by herself, not only is she independently going to the bathroom with little to no accidents, she can dress herself too!  She is so good at picking outfits, seems quite concerned about things matching and will often get herself out of her PJ's and dressed in the morning before I know what's happened!  It's a funny feeling knowing that she will need me less and less as time goes on.  In one way, I love it, she is gaining independence which is what I've been training her to do, but in another way I feel a little sad that she doesn't need me for her every need any more.  Having a baby is so gratifying and exhausting all in the same moment!

We spent a quiet afternoon at home, watched Sesame Street with a bowl of popcorn on the couch, had a midday bath, folded laundry and had a nap.  It was chill and quiet, really nice actually.

Tomorrow the rain is meant to disappear and we will be back up and running on our way to plow through our list of outdoor activities this summer.  Hard to believe that July is almost behind us!

No comments:

Post a Comment