Tuesday 3 July 2012

Summer Camp


 
Today was Sydney's first day in a week long summer morning camp at the Jewish Community Centre.  It was a good trial run to see how we are going to cope with the early morning schedule of preschool in the fall, we had to be at the JCC by 9:00am this morning!  Things actually went remarkably smoothly, we got there in plenty of time without feeling too stressed or rushed.

Poor Syd was a bit confused when we got to camp this morning.  It takes place in her preschool classroom, so I think she was expecting to see both of her teachers and all the same kids there, and was a bit upset to see new teachers and different kids.  I thought that she would be okay with me leaving her there on her own as I did at preschool, but after ten minutes of her crying uncontrollably for me, I gave up hoping that I could get a little time to myself today and sat it out for the morning with her.  She completely enjoyed herself once I was in the room!  My little Mommy's Girl!



The kids had a great morning, painted, coloured, played, read books, had snack time and did an hour of Art with Jean upstairs.  Jean has been teaching art at the JCC for twenty years and she is amazing!  This morning, she had picked a huge bucket of fresh lavender and oregano from her garden and had each of the kids make their own vase for an art project before filling them with the flowers to take home!  It was a great project!



She had tables with playdough and salt and pepper shakers with sparkles in them, which the kids loved!  Sydney really enjoyed her time with Jean, I may have to sign her up for some classes with her in the future!


This afternoon we had our first art class of the summer at 4 Cats art studio on Dunbar.  Our friends Liz and Kaitlyn and Christina and Jack are in the class with us along with a couple of other kids that we know from the last round.  It was a fun class today, we started our new canvas which is going to be a picture of a starry night sky and made a fish out of clay. 

I am glad that I signed Syd up to do a few things this summer.  Every night when we are lying in bed together falling asleep she asks me what she is having a 'long sleep' for, gymnastics, art class, music....it would have been a long summer answering 'nothing' every night for two months!  She loves doing activities and being busy, much like her old Mom!


No comments:

Post a Comment