Thursday 12 July 2012

Yoga, Art & A Birthday

 

This morning got off to a bit of a rough start.  I had booked a few workers to come to the house to take care of some little projects that had been nagging at me for a while.  I figured I'd get all of them to arrive in one morning, with staggered arrival times, and have an amazingly productive time of getting things done around here.  While everyone was working away, I had planned for Sydney and I to bake a batch of cookies to take to the gang at Splash to thank them for stroller and Wow Toys table that they'd passed along to us.

Everything should have gone hunky-dory except everyone seemed to be either running super far behind or sick this morning so it proved to not be as efficient as I might have hoped.  This, coupled with the fact that my left foot was throbbing with pain after having dropped a heavy slab of granite on it last night, did nothing to help our morning out.  Even when one of the workers managed to finally show up, for one reason or another, they weren't able to do what I had hoped.  It was sheer frustration!  Plus, I burned a batch of cookies.....truly not my morning.

The day took a turn for the better when Sydney and I left for the toy store to deliver the cookies to the gals there. 


As we were getting out of the car, a man in a business suit came running out of his office with his headset still attached to his head and breathlessly said to me: "I just had to run out and tell you, your daughter has the most beautiful hair I've ever seen!"  Now, I hear this at least once a day when I'm out with my sweet little red head, but this was all the more meaningful to me on a day like today, and especially when he'd gone to all the effort of leaving his office to chase me down to tell me so. 

The girls at the toy store were so thrilled to get the cookies and card that Sydney made.  I had a lovely visit with them while Sydney cruised around the shop and bumped into our friends Mara and Alexa there too!  I left feeling somewhat re-engergized!

My friend Christina has been teaching a Yoga-Art camp all week at the Kerrisdale Community Centre and had invited Syd and I to join her any days that we were free, so this afternoon we took her up on her offer.  Sydney really enjoyed the art class, taught by Claudia, who also teaches at Arts Umbrella on Granville Island.  The kids made their own ocean picture using a variety of different material, including shells.  Sydney loved the gluing part, used an entire little bottle of glue up on her project!


She also made a bookmark with stickers and glue in between playing with playdough. It was a fun time!


After art, the kids went outside for a snack and some fresh air and then had an hour of yoga with Christina.  Syd seemed so happy to be doing yoga again, she really enjoyed it this past semester! 


Today is Paul's Mom's 96th birthday.  Tonight, the whole family got together at her home for cake and a celebration.  Sydney got the chance to give Bubbie her painting too, she absolutely loved it!  It was very sweet to see her face and hear her praise Sydney for how beautiful her artwork was and how much she adored it!

 
I can only hope to have as much zest at 96 as Bubbie does!  Amazing!

So from a slow start, to a fantastic finish, today certainly felt more like a Monday than a Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment