Tuesday 14 August 2012

Early Mornings



This week has been such a good practice run for what my fall, and basically the rest of my life while Sydney's in school, will look like.  I actually really love mornings with Sydney.  We usually crawl out of bed together somewhere between 6:30 - 7:00am, kiss Daddy goodbye and settle into breakfast together around our kitchen island over fresh fruit, tea, eggs, croissants and the newspaper. 


At some point during breakfast, Sydney inevitably jumps up and declares that she wants to paint, and we spread out her splash mat and set her up for her morning bout of creativity.  From there she often declares her wish for our morning playtime, she wants to read books together in her bedroom, play in her playroom, play with playdough or, her all time favourite, fold laundry. 

After puttering around for a while playing, we slowly start getting ready for our day.  Choosing Sydney's outfit always takes a bit of time, she likes to lay several out on the floor and then try things on and adjust as necessary.  Once we've decided on what she's meant to wear, it's my turn to get ready.  Syd either hangs out in the ensuite with me, often finishing her uneaten breakfast, or sits atop the computer desk watching Elmo on You Tube while I get showered and ready. 

Once I've gotten myself dressed and presentable and tamed Sydney's crazy hair, we are ready to head out for the day which is usually somewhere in the vicinity of 10:00 or 10:30am. 

This week we have had to be out the door by 8:30am, and when school starts we will need to be on the road by 8:15am so the rhythm of our morning has changed considerably.  There isn't a moment to waste and poor Syd is often eating her breakfast off a plate in her lap while in the car driving to school.  It's a stretch, we have to get better at being efficient in the mornings, although I will miss our slow, easy time together once the school year is in full swing!

Sydney actually stayed in camp on her own today, still cried like crazy when I left, but settled down after about ten minutes and had a great time in the end.  I decided to take full advantage of my time alone and went shopping for a new camera.  I think I have settled on the one for me and will be going to actually buy it tomorrow.  It will mean better pictures both of Sydney and on this blog, hooray!

I also picked up a couple of fun things for the kitchen.  This super cute daisy serving tray:


And finally got around to getting myself a cherry and olive pitter!


After camp we had lunch with our friends Christine and Henry at the school cafeteria and Henry gave Syd a little present, a package of the cutest little animal forks that they got in Hong Kong!  Syd loves them!  I have hidden one in her Tupperware container of sliced fruit for camp tomorrow, she's going to be thrilled to find it!


This afternoon we went to Christina and Jack's house for a playdate before we all headed up to 4 Cats for art class.  We had such a lovely time sipping wine spritzers on the back deck enjoying the sun while the kids played in the backyard.  I love that we have friends who live right in our backyard to play with!



Sydney picked another gorgeous bouquet of wild flowers on her way home from art class again today!


We did a little baking this afternoon too, made some chocolate puffed wheat squares and scones, which we delivered, along with a jar of our homemade raspberry jam, to our friends Lori and Marcus to thank them for the amazing party that they threw this past weekend! 

 


Hope Tuesday was good to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment