Saturday 11 August 2012

Family Playdate

 


Today was another gorgeous warm and sunny day!  Late this morning Paul, Sydney and I headed up the street to our friend Lori and Marcus' house for a family playdate.  Lori had invited the entire group of Dunbar Moms along with their families to come for lunch and play in the backyard for a bit of summer fun.

The kids were so happy to see each other, they played happily outside with the sand and water table and other outdoor toys and then, as if they'd planned it, they all simultaneously wanted to go downstairs to the basement to play with Weston's train table.  It was so funny!  They were happy as clams playing indoors in the basement even though they had a beautiful sun-filled backyard filled with great outdoor toys to play with!


Lori treated us to a very special lunch.  She had the chef from La Buca restaurant on site to make an amazing Italian feast: homemade macaroni and cheese for the kids, pasta salad, stuffed fingerling potatoes, beef carpaccio, Caesar salad, teriyaki chicken skewers, roasted zucchini with sundried tomato tapenade, onion tart....it was amazing!


We enjoyed the incredible meal along with some specially selected wines for the event.  It was such a special time!

For dessert Lori had a cake made up especially for Weston to celebrate him becoming a big brother, complete with an edible image of Weston and his new baby sister Gwendolyn on it!  It was so sweet!


We had such a fun afternoon visiting and enjoying some great food and friends!

This morning, while we were out running a few errands, I quickly stopped by a garage sale and found something very special, a china tea cup and saucer.  This Royal Derby set is the exact pattern that my Grandma had when I was a little girl, I can still see it in my mind, all carefully displayed in her china cabinet, as if it were yesterday.  When Grandma passed away, each of her thirteen granddaughters got one of the antique china tea cups and saucers, but there weren't quite enough to go around, so my sister and I decided to choose some other items from her home as a memory of her instead.


I never did stop thinking about that china though, and swore that if I ever had the chance to buy some at an antique shop, or elsewhere, I was going to get myself some, and today was the day!  I love that I have a piece of her china and something to remind me of Grandma!

Late this afternoon Sydney and I walked up to the park to play.  On the way home, she was obsessed with finding wild flowers for a bouquet, so we walked up and down the back alleys looking for flowers and ended up with a beautiful bouquet by the time we got home.



Sydney proudly put her bouquet in a vase and set it in the middle of the coffee table, it looked beautiful by our dinner appetizers tonight along with some yummy leftovers that Lori sent home with us after today's get together.


What a very fun day today!

No comments:

Post a Comment