Monday 20 August 2012

Lazy Summer Days



For the next three weeks I have mindfully not planned a lot for Sydney and I to do.  After a summer filled with scratching items off our summer bucket list, camps and activities, playdates and memories galore, followed by a wonderful little getaway, it feels just right to take some time to truly savour some quiet moments together before the rush of September begins.

I am determined to just let our days unfold any way they see fit.  When we feel like doing something fun, we'll do it, most likely on the spur of the moment.  We'll see friends when we can, spend time outdoors and squeeze every last bit of summer out of August that we can!


Our morning today was filled with unpacking, laundry, straightening up around the house, cleaning out the fridge, taking out the garbage, all those things that you have to do when you're back from vacation.  By noon we had finally gotten out of our PJ's and were ready to head out.  Sydney wanted to go out for lunch, so we went up to Kokopelli on Dunbar and had lunch together followed by a walk to the toy store stopping at all of Syd's favourite places along the way.  I love how much Sydney knows and loves our neighborhood.


We decided that we'd take a drive to the dollar store to find a few things for Sydney's Bye-Bye Diapers party this weekend, and just as we arrived in the parking lot I looked in the backseat only to see Sydney's eyes peacefully closed, she was fast asleep.  So, I drove home, parked in the garage, and let her sleep while I sat in the sun in the backyard with my laptop catching up on e-mails and reading my favourite blogs in between turning loads of laundry over.  It is amazing how much laundry one quick beach holiday can produce!

We laid our sand dollars and shells that we collected in Parksville out in the sun to dry today.  They'll spend a few days baking in the sun to make sure they're good and dry before I get started on my project with them.


Syd spent some time painting this afternoon again:


It was a nice way to spend a Monday, slow and easy with no schedule to follow.  I had a moment today when I actually thought: "I'm really getting used to this whole not working thing...."  Not sure if it was just a fleeting moment or if I am actually settling in to life at home after over three years of getting used to it, but it just felt perfect to be right here, at home, with my girl.  Can't think of a better place to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment