Wednesday 8 August 2012

Lunch with Michelle

 
Sydney and I had another fun day of hosting today as we had our friends Michelle and William for lunch.  Michelle and I met in the Dunbar newborn group back when our kids were just wee babes.  She lives just a few blocks away, but with working full time at the hospital, she and I don't get to see each other as often as we'd like!  I really do enjoy spending time with her, she is so sweet and pleasant to be around and William is such a fun and happy little boy!

Sydney and William played very well together today.  I love that Syd is starting to interact with other kids more now and have little conversations with them.  The two of them were so cute giving each other hugs when it was time to say goodbye, I just loved it!

Michelle completely spoiled us today and brought us a bunch of treats!  A beautiful bouquet of flowers for my kitchen:


The eucalyptus in the bouquet smells absolutely amazing, my entire kitchen smells like a fresh flower shop, amazing!

And some mini cupcakes from Butter bakery, our favourite!  Sydney was most excited to get these and I swear she ate half the package over the course of the day today!


William picked out a couple of special packages of stickers for Sydney today, both with ladybugs.  She was thrilled to get them and I thought it was so cute that he picked them out for her all on his own, remembering that she loves ladybugs!


I decided to make a Quiche Lorraine for lunch using an old recipe that I had from when I took Home Economics in High School.  It tasted absolutely delicious, although I think I may have left it in the oven a tad long, it was a bit browner than I would have liked!  Here's the recipe if you want to give it a try:


Quiche Lorraine

9 inch unbaked pie shell
2 tsp butter
1 large onion, chopped
12 slices bacon, chopped (I used turkey bacon, tasted just as good!)
4 eggs
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 tsp salt
pinch nutmeg
pinch pepper
pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup Swiss cheese, grated

Saute onion in butter until soft.  Fry bacon until crisp.  Combine eggs and cream.  Add spices. Beat until well mixed.  Sprinkle pie shell with bacon, onion and cheese.  Pour egg mixture on top carefully.  Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.  Reduce heat to 300 degrees and bake about 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.


We had a lovely visit together and the kids enjoyed playing in the playroom after lunch while Michelle and I chatted and caught up.  It is so lovely having great friends right in the neighborhood, feels much like home having grown up in a small town where nearly everyone felt like your friend and neighbor!

Looking forward to another day of hosting tomorrow as we have my sister and her boys over for lunch to celebrate her birthday!  What a fun and social week it's been, we are so enjoying connecting with so many people this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment