Sunday 23 September 2012

Our Weekend


This weekend was a fantastic mix of relaxation and productivity.  We did enough that I felt like we caught up on life a bit, and yet had lots of fun and down time too.  It was nice.  I'm starting to feel that rhythm of running with your hair on fire during the week and spending weekends catching your breath and catching up on everything, housework, conversations, errands, time together.  It's all new to me since Syd's started preschool, still figuring out if I love it or not....


Here's a few snapshots of our weekend:

Dunbar Harvest Festival







This annual festival in our neighborhood takes place every September.  It is such a fun and festive event!  There are concerts and balloons, cotton candy and games and prizes all along Dunbar Street.  Our favourite staff members at Splash Toy store dressed up for the occasion and turned the entire sidewalk in front of their store into a play area!  We met up with a few Dunbar families at the Bobs and Lolo concert and had fun chatting and catching up!

Giant Floor Puzzle


I got this puzzle on sale at Winners when Sydney was just a baby and tucked it away in her closet.  I had almost forgotten about it until Saturday afternoon when we happened upon it looking for something else.  Sydney and I spent a good chunk of the afternoon putting it together, it was fun!

Crockpot Season


I am starting to think with the busy days ahead that me and my crockpot are going to have to become good friends.  I pulled out a good old standby recipe today for Shredded Beef Buns and made it for dinner tonight.  They were delicious!  The roast cooked all day while we were out and the house smelled so yummy as it was cooking throughout the afternoon.  It was nice to have dinner ready in just a few moments today!

Nature Walk






Sydney and I went on the coolest nature walk this afternoon in the endowment lands at the foot of our street.  It is absolutely beautiful in the forest right now with all the leaves changing colour and today the sun was streaming through, shining on them, making the colours look especially brilliant.  We collected a bag full of gorgeous fall leaves for a project that I'm going to do with Sydney later this week.  Sydney had such a blast collecting leaves, pinecones and twigs!  She just loves being outdoors!

Art Project



We took a quick trip to the art supply store today to get a few things for a couple of art projects that I'm wanting to do with Sydney over the next short while.  One of the things I want to do is to make our own indoor autumn tree with the leaves we collected today, so while we were out on our nature walk I found the coolest branch which we will hang the leaves, which we have pressed and covered in clear contact paper, that we found today!  I can't wait to see it all come together!

A Little Bit of Fall Indoors




We collected more leaves than we needed for our project so after I had finished pressing the ones I wanted to keep, I put the rest into a bowl and displayed them in the kitchen window seat along with our giant branch.  It looks so cool!  Sydney also collected some baby pinecones and red berries today so we made a little centerpiece with them today using a flower shaped candle holder.

Homemade Playdough




Sydney is loving our homemade playdough so much and has been begging me to make some for her to take to school to share with everyone so today we decided to whip up a couple of batches together.  Sydney chose the colours: pink and yellow.  She is so thrilled to be able to give them to her teachers tomorrow morning!

Sparkles



I got a bottle of sparkles at the toy store the other day, knowing that Sydney would love them for her crafts and collages.  We decided to add some to the homemade playdough and it has taken it to a whole new level for her!  So pretty!  Amazing how one 99 cent bottle of sparkles can bring so much joy!

Drawing


Sydney has been making some pretty hillarious drawings lately.  Check out this "happy" face that she drew for me today!

I feel like I've thoroughly reconnected with my girl this weekend after being away from her so much more than I'm used to this week.  I seriously think I'm suffering from separation anxiety more than she is!  Was so glad to have the chance to do some fun and wonderful things with her this weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment