Friday 14 September 2012

Zaide's Birthday



Today, September 14th, was Paul's father's birthday.  Paul's Dad was an amazing man, smart and determined, with a keen mind for business.  But beyond that, he was an incredible father, husband and Zaide and nothing else in the world mattered more to him than his family.  He loved them fiercely,  right up until the day he left this earth.

I always felt so blessed that Paul's Dad considered me one of the family from shortly after we met.  He was always looking out for, and protecting, me and was someone you could go to anytime you needed some sage advice.

Paul's Dad knew how to enjoy life.  He loved going out for a fine meal, especially a good steak, and having a few drinks and making an evening of it.  I can't count the number of times I had the pleasure of his company over a great meal and a cocktail!

I so wish that Sydney could have known her Zaide.  Not only would it have greatly enriched her life to know his love, but she would have given him joy beyond measure.  I have often thought how sad it was that he wasn't here to witness her birth and these precious early years, but have the strong sense that he's watching over us everyday nevertheless!

Paul's Dad loved a good shot of scotch, so every year, on this day, Paul and I have a shot of scotch together in memory of Lou.  This year Sydney joined us, not in drinking scotch, of course, but in having a shot of water in her own little shot glass.  It was very cute!


Happy Birthday Zaide!  We will always love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment