Wednesday 10 October 2012

Picking Up the Pace


My days have certainly picked up the pace over the past little while!  While I try and update this blog every night, there have been more than a few that have slipped away on me lately!  All good, fun things going on though which just meant a little less time to write!

Here's the snapshot of the past couple of days:

Day at Home

Sydney was home from preschool yesterday for Simchat Torah.  We had an awesome day together at home, organized a few things, had the house cleaned, did some art projects and baked a couple of pumpkin loaves.  We are obsessed with all things pumpkin these days!  When we are out and about, Sydney points pumpkins out to me everywhere!  I bought two of huge cans of pure pumpkin the other day and still have a couple more recipes that we want to try making over the next few days.  We wrapped up one our loaves to give to our friends Emma and Sarah at music class.



Here's the recipe if you want to try it:

Spiced Pumpkin Bread

3.5 cups flour
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground allspice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
4 eggs
1 can (15 ounces) solid pack pure pumpkin
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water

In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.  In another bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin, oil and water.  Mix well.  Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Pour into two greased loaf pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes before removing from loaf pans to wire racks to cool completely.  Makes 2 loaves.


Birthday Dinner Out

My friend Sarah and I have birthdays five days apart, so we decided that we'd celebrate together by going out for a lovely dinner.  We made reservations at Kits Daily Kitchen, a fabulous restaurant that literally makes up a new menu every day based on the fresh ingredients that the chef has shopped for that morning!  We had an amazing six course tasting menu along with some sensational wine and had such a lovely time together chatting and enjoying being out!


The waiter brought two lovely chocolate almond tarts to the table with candles in each for us for dessert!


I made Sarah a basket full of some of my favourite goodies from Trader Joe's for her birthday, she loved it!


Sarah gave me such a thoughtful gift, a gift certificate for a pedicure.  I am so looking forward to using it and spending an entire morning relaxing getting my toes done!


It was such a special night out and what a treat to celebrate another year as friends together!

Parent Council Meeting

This morning I attended my first ever Parent Council Meeting for Sydney's preschool.  I have volunteered to be the Parent Rep for her classroom, so it was a neat opportunity to meet other parents and hear about what's happening in the school and with early childhood education at large.  I love that I can be involved in making her school a better place!


Pumpkin Latte

This morning while Sydney was at school, I met up with my cousin Melanie for a coffee and lunch as she was in the city for the day.  Had my first Pumpkin Latte of the season, it was so yummy!  I am loving the fall flavours!  We had a great visit and catch up.  I can't tell you how much I am enjoying reconnecting with friends with this new free time I have while Syd's in school!


New Clothes

While I was out this morning, I popped into Gymboree to check out their latest sale and ended up coming away with some of the cutest summer stuff for Sydney on clearance!  It will be great for Hawaii and next summer!






New Bathrobe

Sydney has been asking me non-stop to buy her a bathrobe ever since she saw her friend Emma in one at swimming lessons a few weeks ago.  I saw one at Babes on Fourth a couple of weeks back, so today after our swimming lessons we stopped by to get it.  Sydney loves that it has spots like a ladybug and looked absolutely adorable in it!  I kept trying to get a proper picture of her wearing it, but she was so excited to have it that she was jumping and dancing all around!  Super cute!



Pizza Time

Sydney absolutely loves to help me in the kitchen.  We made pizza for dinner tonight, and she practically made the entire thing, rolled out the dough, spread the sauce and put on all the toppings!  I figure next year by this time, she'll be making me pizza for dinner!



This week is flying by, hope it's been great wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment