Monday 29 October 2012

Pumpkin, Three Ways


After an incredibly busy weekend, and an incredibly busy few days leading up to said weekend, I woke up this morning feeling a little weary.  I had lots to do today, Sydney's birthday party is this weekend and we have three (yes, three!) other parties to make it to this weekend as well.  There are gifts to buy and wrap, menus to fine tune, details to confirm....my Monday was meant to be hectic, but instead, I took a day off.

It's not often that I give myself permission to actually do little to nothing in a day, but today I just felt like I needed it.  I dropped Sydney off at school and had every intention of just coming home and lying on the couch for a few hours, but it was pouring rain and I was out already, so I figured I would treat myself to a little shopping instead.  It was wonderful!  I leisurely wandered through the mall, spent over an hour looking through Sephora and made a dent in my birthday gift card and got myself a couple of treats:


An Eyeshadow Kit specifically for brown eyes with full instructions on how to apply the co-ordinating shades.  I can't wait to have an excuse to put it on!


And a lip gloss kit too with a bunch of fun lip glosses to try out.  So nice to get some new makeup, it's something that I literally never buy for myself!  I've been using the same five products for years and rarely try anything new.

I also hit up Forever 21 and came away with a heaping bag of fun, trendy clothes.  I love Forever 21 and was so happy to have the time to scour their huge store and get myself some fun things!


It was just the kind of morning I needed, no schedule, no running around.  Just leisurely shopping and strolling through the mall, warm and dry on a monsoon Monday in Vancouver!

This afternoon Sydney and I hung out at home and decided to carve her pumpkin for Halloween.  Being that we had three pumpkins, I thought we would decorate them in three unique ways, one painted, one with a "Mr. Potato Head" face, and one carved traditionally.

Yesterday when we left Sydney's friend Myrtle's party, her Mom sent us home with the most thoughtful and unique loot bag.  It was a brand new Hello Kitty lunch kit (Sydney thought she'd died and gone to heaven!) and it was filled with six fresh bottles of paint and some brand new paintbrushes.  We cracked them out to paint our Halloween pumpkin today!


It was so fun working on the pumpkins with Sydney.  She was so serious about the painting of her pumpkin, even covered the stem!


I love that she was practically standing on her head to paint the bottom of the pumpkin!


In the end, here's how it looked:


I let Sydney pick the pieces for the "Mr. Potato Head" pumpkin.  I bought a kit at Zellers with numerous fun pieces in it and she chose them all herself, even insisted that he have mismatched ears!


We had fun carving the last pumpkin too.  Sydney was most interested about what was inside the pumpkin and then informed me that she didn't like the seeds.  Apparently she tried some roasted pumpkin seeds at school and they weren't her favourite!



I love the look of the three pumpkins all lined up!  We'll put them on the front porch tomorrow night in time for the big day on Wednesday!


Like any good artist, Sydney had to sign the backs of the pumpkins with her name once they were complete!



Sydney and I spent a few minutes delivering some Halloween treats to her buddies in the neighborhood this afternoon.  We made up little bags with Halloween stickers and colouring books and treats for a few friends and so enjoyed taking them by today.


I made little tags to attach to each of the bags and Sydney coloured on the back of each one to add her own personal touch!


It is a fun lead-up to Halloween night on Wednesday!  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment