Monday 12 November 2012

Best Friend



I love the last day of a long weekend.  While it's always a little sad to see our weekend together come to an end, I love having the chance to be a little bored sometimes.  It's not often, especially at this time of year, that we experience that feeling, but with two full days at home behind us, I was good and caught up around the house and had some time to just chill today.

Sydney is becoming my right hand gal in the kitchen these days.  She is always so interested in seeing what I'm doing and wanting to help me make or prepare anything!  I can almost count the seconds when I start preparing something until I will hear the screeching of her chair across the floor as she pushes it up against the counter next to me to see what I'm doing and ask if she can help.

Yesterday night we made meatloaf and scalloped potatoes for dinner, at Paul's request.  Sydney helped me put all the ingredients in the bowl for the meatloaf, including the egg!  It was her first time ever cracking an egg all by herself and she did great!  Was ever so gentle as she cracked it against the counter and slowly pulled it apart.


Tonight we were making a Caesar salad for dinner.  She absolutely loves the salad spinner, happily spinning the chopped lettuce in small batches and putting it in the salad bowl when she was done.


I love that she loves being in the kitchen with me and hope that she grows up to love cooking and baking for those that she loves!


This afternoon Syd and I were folding some laundry.  I had dumped the baskets onto my bed and Syd was sitting in the middle of the pile, like so many times before, hunting around for socks and throwing them into a pile onto the ground.  We were talking about school and who her best friend was there.  "My best friend's Emelia," Sydney said confidently.  I smiled and said, "that's nice honey."  "Oh and my other best friend is Emma."  There were a few moments of silence and then Sydney said, totally unprompted, "Actually Mom, you're my best friend!"

It was one of those moments that I am sure I will remember for the rest of my life.  What a sweet and sincere comment from my girl and one of the best things that she could ever say to me.  I long to be her best friend and I love that she thinks of me this way already!  I had to choke back tears as I told her that she was my best friend too and that I loved her so much.

I am so amazed at how Sydney's mind works, she is so clever, sometimes beyond her years!  This morning I was making pancakes for breakfast and Syd said: "Mom, could you make me a snowman pancake with three circles, a little one a medium one and a big one?"  Super cute, I had never thought of doing this before, had no idea where she came up with the idea either, but the end result was adorable!


Syd asked me this weekend if we could go to the park.  It was miserable and cold and wet and rainy at the time, so I told her it was too rainy to go to the park today.  "Mom, I want to go to a covered park," she replied.  What a great idea, especially in a city like Vancouver where it rains so much, why on earth hasn't anyone thought to create a covered playground so that kids can get out and play on the rainy days without getting soaked?  Sometimes Sydney amazes me!


I was thinking today about what a profound positive impact preschool is having on Sydney.  Almost all the time when she's at home, she's singing songs from school, or talking about her teachers and classmates.  I am so grateful to have found a place that is so amazing and warm and wonderful for her to spend her mornings.  She has asked me every single day this long weekend if she had preschool today, and when I said no, she sincerely looked a little disappointed, like a day with Dad and me was the consolation prize.  I am so happy that she loves school so much, what an awesome first experience she's having, I couldn't ask for anything more!


I signed up today to take an painting class one evening over the next couple of weeks.  I'm excited to do it!  For the longest time, as I've been watching Sydney create masterpiece after masterpiece, I've been thinking about my own artistic ability, or lack thereof, and have been wanting to find a way to tap into it.  This should be a good start!

Hope you had a wonderful long weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment