Thursday 8 November 2012

Hannukah Craft


A few days ago I did some searching online to see if I could find any easy craft ideas for Hannukah so that we could decorate our house a bit before the holiday began.  I found a couple of great ideas, so today I hit up my favourite dollar store and got all the supplies we needed to make our own menorah.


I love the way this turned out, so modern and simplistic, yet fun and festive.  It was so easy, we simply got tea light holders to which we attached the Star of David that I made by cutting out two triangles and gluing them together.


We then filled the candle holders with glass beads around a taper candle, to hold it in place, and arranged the finished product on a large platter.


Sydney had great fun with the glass beads!  She loved filling the candle holders up and helping me attach the stars to the front.  It was a perfect craft for her age!



We spent a quiet afternoon at home today, it was nice.  Sydney did a little of this:


And opened yet another birthday present from her buddy Declan.  Declan's Mom, Rachel is amazingly talented and sewed Mom and Baby aprons for Sydney and I for her birthday!  I love how mine has a likeness of Sydney on it, curly red hair and all!




Sydney's has her name on it and a cupcake, how perfect!  Poor Rachel sent me an e-mail minutes after Syd's birthday party, apologizing for misspelling Syd's name on the apron!  We've set up a playdate for a visit and so that Rachel can specifically change the "i" to a "y"!  Such a very thoughtful gift that we will use and treasure for years to come!

Declan also got Sydney this Melissa and Doug wooden Bake and Decorate cupcake set.  I had had my eye on this set for a few months and was secretly hoping that someone would get it for Sydney's birthday, so I was only too happy to see it when she opened the gift!  It comes complete with it's own oven mitt, cupcake pan and liners, wooden cupcakes with candles that velcro to the top and icing tubes, which is really a washable marker so the kids can decorate the tops!  Sydney really loved this gift, played with it for the longest time this afternoon, it was fantastic!


We took advantage of our afternoon at home to make a special dinner tonight, Orange Rosemary Roast Chicken, butternut squash soup, homemade stuffing and roasted potatoes and carrots.




I even made my own homemade cranberry sauce, it was so easy and delicious, I may never buy the canned variety again!



We so enjoyed dinner together tonight, everything was all prepared and ready to go the minute Paul got in the door so we had lots of time together this evening to visit after an early dinner!

I unpacked a little gift that I got myself the other day tonight:


I have had the same watch for probably ten or fifteen years, one that my brother brought back from Bali for me many years ago.  It has served me so well all these years, and this past weekend when I went to change the time with the end of Daylight Savings Time, I noticed that the little knob on the side had fallen off...time to get a new watch!

So I got myself this sleek Skagen watch, I love it!  The face is mother of pearl and is so beautiful and iridescent.

This week has zipped by!  Hard to believe that tomorrow is Friday already!  Looking forward to a fun long weekend together!

No comments:

Post a Comment