Thursday 3 January 2013

A Fun Day at Home


Sydney and I spent the entire day at home today.  It's kind of a luxury these days, to spend an entire day in one spot.  It was a fun and full day even though we didn't make it past our front door!

Our cleaning lady came first thing this morning and brought a little present for us, her famous homemade Callebeaut Chocolate Bark with pistachios, filberts, cranberries and crystallized ginger.  It was delicious and such a nice treat!


Syd and I spent the morning in the kitchen making a few fun things.  I set my bread maker late last night before I went to bed and woke up to freshly made dough and braided up a couple of loaves of Challah for our dinner tonight.  The house smelled so amazing with fresh bread baking and it turned out so well, was light and fluffy and delicious melt in your mouth fresh bread!  Sydney literally ate half a loaf herself today!


We also made a batch of Super Lemon Blueberry Muffins from the Best of Bridge cookbook with some frozen blueberries that we had in the freezer that are begging to be used!  They are so yummy with a lemon juice and sugar glaze on top!


Tomorrow we are heading to two different play dates so we decided to make a batch of homemade play dough and make up bags for each of Sydney's friends along with some cookie cutters.  Syd had such fun helping me make the play dough and kneaded it for the longest time before she would let me package it nicely into bags!



I set up the easel that my sister gave me for Christmas today.  It is so awesome!  It came complete with a canvas, palette, dozens of tubes of paint and paint brushes.  I am feeling so inspired to paint a masterpiece!  Am looking forward to using it over the next short while!



Sydney did a little drawing early this afternoon, I love these ones that she drew.  She told me that it was a cactus and then recalled how on Sesame Street someone said "ouch" when they touched one because it was prickly, just like hers.  I love how much she's connecting the dots lately!



Check out the blue sky day that we had in Vancouver today!  I can't get over this weather, so amazing for this time of year.  Every morning when we wake up there is frost covering the roofs of the houses and the car windows, it is super cold but fresh and wintry!


This afternoon we had our friends Lori and Weston over for a play date.  We hadn't seen them in over a month, it was so nice to catch up and for the kids to have some time to play together!  Syd had fun helping me set out some snacks for her and her buddy to enjoy!


Lori brought me a bottle of wine and some whipped shortbread along with a little gift, some beautiful recipe cards and recipe bookmarks which you can use to earmark favourite recipes in cookbooks.  They are awesome and have me wanting to scour one of my hundreds of cookbooks to find some new recipes to try this year!


Sydney was hillarious while Weston was here, she insisted upon wearing her tutu and playing her recorder as loud as she could!  What a girl!


I made the yummiest soup for dinner tonight, a Thai Coconut Chicken Noodle soup, so aromatic and spicy and warm.  Perfect for a winter's night and went so well with the Challah that we had baked this morning!


We are looking forward to spending a little time out of the house tomorrow visiting with some friends!  These past few days have been such a gift, being able to visit with those we love without having to rush to be anywhere!  Will enjoy the next few days of leisure before we head back to school and our regular activities next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment