Sunday 27 January 2013

Ask Me A Question


At the beginning of this year I bought a journal called "Question and Answer a Day for Kids" that I had read about online.  This brilliant journal prompts you each day with a question to ask your child and then you are meant to write down their response in the journal.  It is good for three years, you ask the same question on the same day exactly a year apart and can have so much fun seeing the difference in their answers year over year.


Sydney and I have so been enjoying this journal.  In fact, almost every day at some point throughout the day Sydney completely stops what she's doing and yells out "Oh Mom!  You forgot to ask me a question!"  She especially loves it when I read her answers back to her.  Some of them are so hillarious that it is hard to keep a straight face while I'm writing them!  Often, after Sydney's gone to bed for the night, I'll bring the journal downstairs and read her daily answer to Paul and we'll be gutting ourselves laughing at her response.

Like this one last night, for example:

Q - What are you worried about?
A - Pigeons.  Because they scare me.  Sometimes I like them and sometimes I don't

Of all the things to worry about in the world, my sweet girl is worried about harmless urban birds.  Remember when life was that simple?  If only our worries were that of a three year old...

Here's a few more of my favourite answers:

Q - What would you like to do but can't do yet?
A - I'm going to be a doctor when I'm a bigger girl.  I'm going to work at one of the places.

Q - What are you especially good at?
A - Painting.  I painted Monet's bridge in art class.  I'm very good at doing colouring and playing with my toys and babies.

Q - Has anyone ever called you a name?  Tell me about it.
A - Yes, Sydney! 

Q - What is a silly thing that you did lately?
A - Naked running with no pants on

Q - What have you done lately that you're proud of?
A - Doing diapers for my babies.

Q - Why do you make a good friend?
A - Because I'm a down dog.  My friends like me because I hug myself in the morning.

I love that last one!  Such a hysterical response with a much deeper meaning.  My girl, boy do I love having conversations with her!

This journal has prompted some great teaching opportunities as well.  Some of the questions are a bit advanced for three year olds, I have to admit.  The other day the question asked if she believed in aliens.  She, of course, had no idea what aliens were, so we had a great discussion about outer space and the planets, something that I wouldn't have thought to teach her at such a young age!


I will periodically share her daily answers with you in this space because I just love hearing what she is thinking about and how she answers questions and hope you do too.  This age is sheer magic when it comes to conversation!


No comments:

Post a Comment