Wednesday 23 January 2013

Imaginary Friend


Over the past couple of weeks Sydney has found herself an imaginary friend.  It is so cute to hear her talk about her buddy with such confidence and assurance that he exists!  Her friend's name is Michael and she tells me that he lives in Kitsilano on West 4th Avenue.  She met him while she was working at Mackenzie, where I worked before she was born, and his birthday is coming up in April.


She mentions him at least once every day at random times and often asks for my iphone during the day so that she can send a text to Michael or his Mommy about one thing or another.

I love how her imagination is developing so rapidly right now.  I've often heard that imagination is more powerful than intellect and it's no more true than in the mind of a preschooler!

Today was a mellow day.  Sydney woke up with quite a snotty cold but insisted upon going to school anyways, so off we went.  While she was at school I ran a bunch of errands that had been on my 'to do' list for far too long, dropped off some clothes to the tailor, got a purse repaired, dropped off something to a friend.  It felt good to get some things done that weren't pressing, but nevertheless needed to be accomplished.

While I was out I picked myself up a beautiful bright bouquet of tulips, just to brighten our kitchen a bit.  It has started raining again after a few dry and frosty weeks and it felt a little too wintery today, so it was nice to have something bright and beautiful to look at!


We decided to skip swimming lessons this afternoon with Sydney's stuffy nose and all, so instead Syd spent some time playing playdough.  She made herself four loaves of Challah, braided with a little help from Mommy!  She was quite proud of herself!


We decided to paint a few of the blank Valentine's Day cards that we picked up at Target on Monday as well.  Sydney had great fun painting them and then covering them in gold glitter!



It was a good afternoon to spend in the kitchen, so I made a pot of Baked Yam soup as we are having friends over for lunch after school tomorrow.



Sydney emptied out her art file at school today as well.  I love the bright colours in this painting and the fact that the bottom is covered in letter "S's" where she tried to sign it!


This one is great too, on the bottom the teacher wrote: "This is a dot, a ladybug and a smiling face."


Sydney decided to whip up one of her famous concoctions for dinner tonight, this one had an interesting mix of celery, strawberries, soda crackers, chicken broth and numerous spices.  When I asked her what she was making she told me it was a 'spicy pizza.'



It was a nice afternoon together.  Paul had to work super late tonight, so I cracked a bottle of wine and sat and had dinner with Syd in the living room before she headed off to bed early to try and sleep off this cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment